Bass Assassin 16...epic!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went back to the basin and the first thing I picked up…I kid you not…right at my bottle spot…was this coin from 1871. Now I wonder why it was punched to wear but suppose back in the day it may have had a special significance to someone. For me that makes it even better than if it were “just” a coin.

I just got back from a week at the beach and boy was it epic. There must have been a storm or two while I was away and they must have been pretty big blows too because when I did my 5 mile walk I got loaded down with “stuff”. I picked up as many floats as I could carry and had to ignore maybe a dozen more. I’ll tell you I must have looked the fool traipsing through the woods to the road with these on my back and a pathetic Dutch oven in my hands but I didn’t care since I had THIS in my pocket.

It appears to be a memorial to someone who passed away named Corey Olson. Didn’t find much on the internet to identify him or where it came from. I assume it is not all that old and most likely came from close by but just don’t know. I am having a hard time reading it too…so any help appreciated.

This is only the second time in more than 50 years of beach combing that I have found one of these…a message in a bottle!

Attachments

• DSC03972.JPG
    DSC03972.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC03974.JPG
    DSC03974.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03885.JPG
    DSC03885.JPG
    490.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC03995.JPG
    DSC03995.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC04002.JPG
    DSC04002.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC04006.JPG
    DSC04006.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 105

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice half dollar unclemac! They drilled holes in them so they could run a leather strap or something through them to keep from losing their money. Many people would wear their money around their neck. Looks like you had a really good time on your beachwalk

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would you need help reading it??? Just email the person who dropped it in the water and find out the scoop...

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I can't read the middle line where the fold is....

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
772994d1365273433-bass-assassin-16-epic-dsc04002.jpg

...It appears to be a memorial to someone who passed away named Corey Olson. Didn’t find much on the internet to identify him or where it came from. I assume it is not all that old and most likely came from close by but just don’t know. I am having a hard time reading it too…so any help appreciated.

This is only the second time in more than 50 years of beach combing that I have found one of these…a message in a bottle!

Hey unclemac,

And a melancholy message it is, too. Man There's a relic of past reflection, emotion & aspiration. I read,

"Corey, I know
I've never lived up
to much, and in
your eyes only
{words lost}
I thank you for
the chances you've
givin me, and hope
to become worthy
of your belief."​

I've attended a few memorial services that involved going out in the ocean on a boat, spreading the deceased's ashes, raising a glass, and remembering. I can see this being an internet age, accoutrement to such a service. Just a WAG.

That's a confessional in a jar.

37d04a2cd1f835da78376f8283a449c5.jpg

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks surf....any conjectures that make sense for the missing line?...I can see...__ __ so __ __ ey.... anyway that's what i think i see....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread