Bass Assassin 17

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From time to time I find old jars on the beach too. I found this big but broke Mason jar at my “spot” and this purple “fruit jar” at my ultra secret artifact cove. Bottles and jars used to have a lot of style. Just look at these art deco product jars from the 30’s or even the old Ball jars, these were all pulled out of the village dump site I told you about. I love this old ketchup bottle too; it fits in my hand real nice and is solid as a club.

But lately everything is plastic and has no class. I suppose that some day this junk will be collected but not by me. What’s that they say? “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”? Of course when you think about it we jump at the chance to dig through an old outhouse, which on the face of it is pretty disgusting.

I still prefer a product packed in glass and will pay a bit more for it. A lot of these jars I keep. In fact I use salad dressing jars as glasses, I do, I really do. I don’t know how many pricey sets of glasses I have bought over the years but they are all designed to BREAK so that you have to buy more. (Not like my ma’s good old Anchor Hockings, you couldn't break those with a hammer), (she is in her 90’s and she STILL has them). Now think about it…product jars (like salad dressing) are designed to (get this)…not break! They toss that stuff around in shipping and stocking like a pin ball in a game. I have a full set of a dozen or so (same brand, different flavors) and I haven’t broken one yet….even dropped some on my kitchen floor which is made of stone. I must admit I also get a chuckle out of serving some fine Pinot Noir to my mother-in-law in a Gorgonzola salad dressing jar when she knows full well I have a set of 16 of each kind of Waterford crystal wine glasses. (Since she made my wife’s father give them to us), (and I packed them away), (she was the daughter of a rich North Dakota potato farmer and wears purple died mink coats to church and sits in the front pew), (big fish in a small pond), (you know the type).

Attachments

• DSC03692.JPG
    DSC03692.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC03695.JPG
    DSC03695.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC03686.JPG
    DSC03686.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC03684.JPG
    DSC03684.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC03499.JPG
    DSC03499.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC03491.JPG
    DSC03491.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 120

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fruit jar unclemac

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks, I love when they start to turn color.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, great story/essay, and cool finds. Thanks unclemac. I look forward to your posts every day. Better than Dear Abby! HH! Yak

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks, i wasnt sure if i should continue.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, there's no stopping now. I look forward to seeing your stories. I think you have brought some new life to the forum

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
glad to hear it...i'll get another out tonite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread