Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug some new holes in the creek bank. Found a nice deep aqua blue mason jar, embossing reads "Banner" and "Trademark Warranted"; thinking it's a quart jar. Mold number on the bottom is "10":

Banner mason jar.jpg

Then Scott and I each found a green S/P shaker. Mine actually has a lid. Hockey puck is for size reference:

Banner.jpg

Along the way, this odd-looking spoon popped out; nickel is for size reference:

spoon.jpg

Scott has some cool stuff of his own to post :)

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
give us the story on where/what this dig is.... are you at a dump site?

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
give us the story on where/what this dig is.... are you at a dump site?

Yeah... There used to be a farm house here sometime after 1877, bc the map from that year shows an empty area. Everything we've been finding seems to be from between 1900-1930s, with some odd chinaware shards and earthenware from as late as the 1950s. At first we'd speculated that it was the town landfill, but the sort of targets indicated that it is probably debris from the demolished home that once stood here.

The home stood on a gradual slope alongside a small feeder stream that empties into the Neshaminy Creek. When the house was demolished, they planed the slope, cutting onto the hillside and pushing it onto the streambank. Then they built a box truck plant, which later became an auto body shop that my friend and fellow digger manages. Unfortunately, we can't seem to find any pictures or old maps that depict the house.

Since we've started digging, we've found an inordinate number of condiments bottles, as well as many olives & pickles jars, beer bottles, toasted cans, plated silverware, and plateware shards. We also found a 1913 PA license plate, an ornate brass door plate with grapevines molded onto it, a local chamber of commerce membership plate from 1934, a few nice mason jars, some Graniteware, two good luck tokens, a 1944 wheat, and 2 sets of salt & pepper shakers. Some really cool stuff had come out of these holes.

scotk9

Mar 19, 2013
Montgomery County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
Today seemed to be the moving glory hole... I would find something and a few minutes later, Jon would find some other unique object or bottle. i would say wewere ther an hour when the decision was made to shift to a fresh spot 10 feet down the bank. these are a few of the gems we found.

scott phone 183.jpg scott phone 184.jpg scott phone 185.jpg scott phone 186.jpg scott phone 181.jpg scott phone 187.jpg scott phone 196.jpg scott phone 197.jpg scott phone 198.jpg

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, they cleaned up nicely :)

scotk9

Mar 19, 2013
Montgomery County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
This is some advertising for LL Cope M.D.of Hatfield PA. b-1859 died 1938. Possibly a pen part. There a some fine threads on one end which is
opened. i dug inside and got this grey rubbery substance. Just cool to find local history
scott phone 182.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it looks like someone demolished the whole house, contents and all, most likely after it had been abandoned for a time and picked through. Great find.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it looks like someone demolished the whole house, contents and all, most likely after it had been abandoned for a time and picked through. Great find.

That is entirely possible, and something that I'm sure has crossed both our minds. Something else I think is probable is that when they leveled the ground for the truck plant that they bulldozed over the stream, which then had to recut its path to the creek. I'm willing to bet that this debris will be found in the stream bank from the road all the way to the creek, we just have to dig for it.

I have an idea that I want some feedback on... since these tincture/liniment-type bottles don't seem to hold much value, would it be a novel idea to sell them as "kits" of maybe 5-8 for small businesses who'd like to add that antique, vintage look to their shops and offices? What would be a good price to ask for? I'd probably do a variety:
Doctors' Offices: maybe one amber IPA bottle with some mini antiseptic bottles and a few liniments (all embossed)
Barbers: some of the smaller perfume and tonic bottles (with one or two shoe polishes for variety)
Small Food Service: some condiment bottles (could fill them if it would add to the effect)
Household: these would be window glass; small cobalt and amber bottles, with some Noxzema milk glass

What do y'all think? Would it be worth it to try?

scotk9

Mar 19, 2013
Montgomery County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
I really believe this was the typical backyard "outta site-outta mind" house dump. I don't feel the truck plant ground was moved that far. The dirt from that was pushed out back. Before it was graveled it ws much more evident.
In any event, it is still a great spot for these bottles and other items from TOC to I suspect '40s. It is right on the Borough/township boundry so that may have some bearing. We'll keep on diggin'!

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug some new holes in the creek bank. Found a nice deep aqua blue mason jar, embossing reads "Banner" and "Trademark Warranted"; thinking it's a quart jar. Mold number on the bottom is "10":

View attachment 775773

Then Scott and I each found a green S/P shaker. Mine actually has a lid. Hockey puck is for size reference:

View attachment 775775

Along the way, this odd-looking spoon popped out; nickel is for size reference:

View attachment 775776

Scott has some cool stuff of his own to post :)

The odd spoon looks to me like the pan off a old balance type scale. Might go along with a DRs office to meausre out powders in mixing up drugs.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The odd spoon looks to me like the pan off a old balance type scale. Might go along with a DRs office to meausre out powders in mixing up drugs.

You know, given all the medical bottles we've found, I have no idea why neither of us thought of that. Thanks for the ID!

scotk9

Mar 19, 2013
Montgomery County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
This is some advertising for LL Cope M.D.of Hatfield PA. b-1859 died 1938. Possibly a pen part. There a some fine threads on one end which is
opened. i dug inside and got this grey rubbery substance. Just cool to find local history
View attachment 775990

Jon found the cap to my advertising piece.
I think it may have been a case for a thermometer. Really strange that they were about 10 feet apart in the dump. Alsoglad that Jon shifted to that area.
never would have been able to see this...

20130413_015701.jpg

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're welcome :) I won't be around today but I may pay it a visit tomorrow. I still have some site work to do... the path still needs some rock placement to avoid the mud and I'm building a walkway along the bank so we're not sliding all over the dirt mounds.

path.jpg

On another note, I told my wife it was "dirt rash" but I think I have poison ivy, which is very odd because there is little to no non-tree growth where we're digging, and if I saw any on the walk in, I would have avoided it. Just an FYI, don't wanna see you catch it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread