Unusual Ball logo?

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this one from an antique shop here in Northwest Missouri. I am thinking this is from a reworked mold, looks like it used to be a shoulder seal.

100_2001 (800x765).jpg

100_2004 (636x800).jpg

100_2005 (583x800).jpg

100_2007 (800x742).jpg

100_2008 (800x754).jpg

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea where i could find any information on it? I have researched some of the Ball sites and could not find anything on it. The chart for logo history does not even have this one.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any idea? Any and all feedback or comments is appreciated.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
785535d1367076783-unusual-ball-logo-100_2001-800x765-.jpg

I am thinking this is from a reworked mold, looks like it used to be a shoulder seal.

Hey Daniel,

I guess I'm not exactly sure to what you are referring on this one. Are you talking about the Ball logo?

I notice, or think I do, that the "B' in Ball seems to have an extra long back flourish. Is this what you are indicating? I see no dropped "a," which makes me think post 1923.

I'd ask for some additional comments from you, and some natural light photos, please.

Screen-shot-2012-06-03-at-7.07.01-AM.png

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i am referring to the Logo. The B is actually one continuous line without breaks in it.

100_2167 (800x682).jpg

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like the glass has some texture too. Be careful of reproductions...

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do i tell if it is a repro?

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the answer everyone which proves research prevails.... While in an antique shop today looking through fruit jars i came across an old Port Mason's jar and it came to me that this jar came from a reworked mold. Ball had bought Port in 1904 they continued for a short time to make jars there. I suppose they continued to make them at first with the Port logo then changed to the well known Bally logo when they engraved Ball over the Port inscription. Here is a link that has this information BALL over PORT Transition Jars in Transition Jars Forum

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Great persistence & sleuthing, BadAdze!

Please post some more photos of the jar, and the lid, in natural light. It appears to have some whittle.

Do you see evidence of peening out the "ort?"

DSCN0705A.JPG

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you explain whittle? And the other "ort" to me?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey BadAdze,

"Whittle" is the term that bottle guys use for the wavy, rippled or whittled effect that some bottles and jars have on their surface.

"Whittle marks - (Also called "chip marks," "chip mold," "cold mold marks," "whittling") These terms refer to a bottle glass texture which has a wavy, dimpled, or hammered appearance. Called whittle marks, because the bottle surface looks as though it were blown in wooden mold where the mold maker's whittling marks are evident. (Wooden molds were rarely used during the period covered by this website.) The glass texture effect is usually actually caused by the hot, semi-molten glass hitting the cooler mold surface; bottle "goose bumps" in a sense. The image to the left shows a close-up view an extreme example of this effect; click whittle marks to see entire image of this large 1850s patent medicine bottle with the extreme whittle marks." Bottle Glossary Page

whittlemarks.jpg

What I meant about the "ort" being peaned out, was that the mold cutter would have had to modify or remove the "ort" in the Port mold, in order to recut it to the Ball logo.

peen9.jpg

"HOME BITTERS CO two slug plates was peened out and new lettering added." Bottle Pickers

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANX for the lesson SURF!!!!!!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So...not a reproduction, just an "oddball" :) variety, lol. In my non-glass-collector perspective, that would increase the value bc it's not a common pattern. Surf?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread