surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello blugotti1,

I've not "heard" this myself, so don't know of what you speak. "Baby food" didn't really become a major commercial product until the late Twenties.

""By the late 1920s, commercially canned baby food was introduced and quickly adopted by American consumers. Conditions were favorable: advertising had become widespread, the cost of canned foods had fallen, and experts recommended the addition of fruits and vegetables to the infant diet. The Gerber Company initiated this revolution in infant feeding by expanding the scope of the canned foods industry. According to the Gerber company history, in 1927 Dorothy Gerber laboriously hand-strained vegetables for her seven-month-old daughter, Sally, and urged her husband, Daniel, to consider manufacturing stained baby food a the Gerber family's Fremont Canning Company. The next year, the company introduced strained peas, prunes, carrots, and spinach to the market. The Gerbers launched an advertising campaign featuring a sketch of an infant known as the Gerber Baby that ran in such publications as Good Housekeeping, The Ladies' Home Journal, the Journal of the American Dietetics Association, and the Journal of the American Medical Association. The Gerber Baby icon, drawn by Dorothy Hope Smith, became the company's official trademark in 1931."
---Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, Andrew F. Smith editor [Oxford University Press:New York] 2004, Volume 1 (p. 58-9)" The Food Timeline--baby food history notes

Earlier infant / invalid "foods" like the Mellin's Food are most common and of meager 'value."

Please post some photos so we're all on the same page, if you would...

gerber.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
does baby food still come in glass jars?.... I have a great screw and bolt wall holder that my dad made for me decades ago that I keep in the barn...all made from baby food jars.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, unclemac, I believe it does. Seems to have some new variety, too.

baby+food.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Harry,

That's a fine example, sir. Is that a foil cap on the stopper? Thanks for showing it. The Executive Staff approves. 8-)

60pm17.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
The Mellin's jar has a hard rubber (vulcanite?) stopper that is embossed (as you see it). The stopper seals inside the cork ring (original) inside the mouth of the jar. In my early image, the isolated stopper appears more yellow than it actually is . . . the putty color of the stopper in the jar is a better rendition.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Harry,

This is the first hard rubber Mellin's stopper that I have seen. I've dug several of the plain stubby glass stoppers with them. I wonder when they used these...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread