2 Days Worth Of Digging

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I've been waiting for some new digs. Do you have a date range yet?

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're thinking 30-40's.

My boy and I are new to this so we could be wrong.

The Edison bottles in front in the group pic were found separate from the rest.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the mold seams on all of them. If they run to the top and through the lip then you are probably right. If they stop short about halfway up the neck then they could be quite a bit older. Does the site where y'all dug them have any history prior to that time?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle1.gif
Marbles and now bottles - nice finds deershed!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seams go the whole way to the top of the bottle.The one cork top Edison we thought was older,but the seam goes up through the lip on that one too?

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
if the marbles are machine made.....that would start you out in the mid 20s or so.....if you could post those i might be able to date em purty close....

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted our marble finds in the Marble forum.

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the Edison bottles.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
those marbles ,except the benningtons and clays are all early machine made....mid 20s to early 30s....that light blue with darker blue stripes ,at 2 oclock, looks to be a christensen marble...the most desired marbles are made by this company....other companies that could be in the picture are alley agate and akro agate...you could google joes marbles and do some comparing if your so inclinded...the blue and red one at 6 oclock looks alley to me.....

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!!This site is Awesome.....
I could use a little more help.Is there such a thing as a hand blown marble?We hit the dump again today and found another 20 marbles.We lost our hot vein of marbles only finding a few until we were ready to quit for the day and started finding marbles again.
One of the marbles has what looks like a small hole that was filled in,could this be a hand blown marble?

Marble in question-front

Opposite side.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey deer shed,

The brown one appears to be a crockery Bennington.

"Made the same way as other pieces of pottery, marbles began as small pieces of clay, which were shaped into spheres, coated with glaze and fired. Most of these marbles are anything but perfect spheres, showing hurried and careless production to create large quantities without wasting time. "Bennington" type crockery marbles are distinguished by "eyes" which are present on the surface, which is a small circular spot often heavy enough to appear almost black. Most marbles contain one of more eyes, or stilt marks, which were formed at places where the marble was supported by or touched some other surface while the glaze was being fired. It is highly probably that brown marbles are probably more common than are the blue. Benningtons come in a wide variety of shades and intensity of the glaze, some dark brown with even darker almost black markings giving a mottled appearance. The glaze used on these marbles is often very thick and shiny. Some Benningtons are light tan with a barely noticeable glaze, and all kinds of intermediate color shades exist. No bennington is ever completely the same shade of brown all over. Some marbles have visible bluish or greenish markings along with the shades of brown." Marble Identification

DSC03091.jpg

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!!
After asking we noticed we had some other blue ones that had some marks similar to the one I posted.We saw the one post I'd like some info. on these marbles I found,Please.And started leaning towards benningtons.
The one I posted just looked like it was a hole that was filled in some how.
Thanks again,we're still learning.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
image_zps1991a5bc-1.jpg

Hey deershed,

The Edison Oils that have the Bloomfield name are post 1915, as production was moved from West Orange, New Jersey following a fire at the laboratory.

Is this site near a rail line?

EdisonFire.jpg

"Tragedy at West Orange: This postcard captures the devastation in the aftermath
of the Edison fire. Miraculously, only one life was lost.
COURTESY ALLEN KOENIGSBERG​

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surf- where the bottles were found was just off the tracks.Years ago it was a stopping point for the train where passengers could switch trains.
The Edison bottles were all laying on the surface,no digging.Besides the bottles there were also some of the actual batteries the oil was used in.How cool is that...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread