deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While checking out a new area for some bottle digging I found this bottle laying on the surface.

I'm still new at trying to figure these glass bottles out never mind stoneware.Can anyone help me identify this bottle or tell me what time period it might be from?

This was on the edge of the bottom of the bottle.

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Awesome!!Thanks!!

We were thinking early 1900's like the last old foundation we were digging.It's so nice to have some very knowledgable people on here to confirm what your thinking.
We were afraid it would turn out to be some more modern bottle that was dropped in that area.

Thanks again!!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey deershed,

Jim's got it right. There's a great many of these out there. They're still great to find.

"Thomas Rathbone & Company got into financial difficulties in the first half of the 19th century and the pottery closed in 1850. The premises, on the east of Pipe Street and the harbour, were taken over by Dr W A Gray in 1856 who with his sons began a very successful enterprise manufacturing white and brown stoneware. Unfortunately, it did not survive the Depression of the 1930s." http://www.portobelloheritagetrust.co.uk/gallery.pdf

"Their near neighbours, W. A. Gray & Sons of the Midlothian Pottery, produced almost identical utilitarian stoneware, if not quite so extensive in its range. They were famed for their patented white marmalade jars." Pottery Manufacture

1809078_893a3b28.jpg
Portobello pottery kilns, Pipe Street::

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got one just like that, it contained Ginger Beer I'm pretty sure. Google image search some antique ginger beer bottles. Nice find though!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I've got one just like that, it contained Ginger Beer I'm pretty sure. Google image search some antique ginger beer bottles. Nice find though!

A stoneware ginger beer will be marked as such with an under-glaze stencil. Unmarked stoneware bottles like this one are ale bottles.

I think some confusion about this has arisen because ale bottles were often re-cycled to contain home-made ginger beer. This misnomer has become part of collector jargon, particularly in the Northeast, even making its way into one collector guide that I know of. Archeological evidence is to the contrary.

NOLA.river.rat

Apr 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I found a similar version of your bottle. Anyone know what the number 9 represented? Was it maybe the kiln #? IMG_20190324_081130113.jpeg IMG_20190324_070020078.jpeg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I think the number "9" may represent the mold number. These bottles were cast in a mold, I believe. The maker's cartouche was impressed while the clay was soft but coherent. They were dried thoroughly, then glazed, then fired. British potteries produced a gazillion of these bottles for export, along with a fabulous variety of stoneware for domestic use. North Americans opted for glassware instead of stoneware for utilitarian purposes, so American stoneware is not as abundant as British.

I have only a few stoneware bottles in my collection. Here are images of some of those bottles; only one is British, the one with sharp shoulders:

stonewarebeer2US.jpg stonewarebeer3.jpg

NOLA.river.rat

Apr 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thanks for the info Harry! I never would have thought it was made with a mold since it doesn't have any seams. My buddy has the same one with the sharp shoulders. It appears to be stamped at the base with a square or an M. IMG954492.jpeg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the number "9" may represent the mold number. These bottles were cast in a mold, I believe. The maker's cartouche was impressed while the clay was soft but coherent. They were dried thoroughly, then glazed, then fired. British potteries produced a gazillion of these bottles for export, along with a fabulous variety of stoneware for domestic use. North Americans opted for glassware instead of stoneware for utilitarian purposes, so American stoneware is not as abundant as British.

I have only a few stoneware bottles in my collection. Here are images of some of those bottles; only one is British, the one with sharp shoulders:

View attachment 1694996 View attachment 1694997

Nice collection, Harry! I like the middle one. Hey, we could use your help with a black glass flask a few threads down, the thread is titled "Date and ID Help Please!". We're curious about date and origin.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Interesting thanks for the info Harry! I never would have thought it was made with a mold since it doesn't have any seams. My buddy has the same one with the sharp shoulders. It appears to be stamped at the base with a square or an M. View attachment 1695041
Cool! The hand-thrown bottles in my image are the E C Seldorff and the black bottle. The seams on a molded stoneware bottle are easily removed with a simple tool while the clay is still soft, then the bottle is glazed after thorough drying. The glaze disguises scuffing.

I brought my larger-than-average sharp-shouldered bottle back from Guyana, a former British colony. These stoneware bottles are locally called "flambeaux" because they were re-used as oil lamp reservoirs -- a little lamp oil and a wick in a stable and heat resistant bottle.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a great find hope theres more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread