Privy permission intimidation

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So as my friend and I progress in our knowledge of bottle digging, collecting and so on.. We come to trying to obtain our first permission to dig a privy. We have all the equipment, we have the knowledge, and we have the community of treasurenet to help in our quest. So the only problem is we are intimidated, so to speak, to ask for permission of a large group of people. Say if we get a "no" over and over and ask the homeowners in the area that we have (which is an ideal area; filled with houses that are all early 1800s still standing) then we may ask too many, or all of the homeowners and get denied and exhaust the area we are trying to dig. The reason why we have the doubt is because we are both 17 years old and feel as if though there won't be a whole lot of trust between the homeowners right off the bat because of our age. Does anyone have any tips for us?

We just don't want to be seen as this:

too young for the privy.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It's gonna be tough going until you get your first permission, it might help to find a "old timer" that also collects glass to help with the permissions. A well made up flyer with what you plan on doing step by step and a few pictures might help. This way the homeowner sees you're serious and has a little time to think about it... Good Luck

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know any of the oldtimers? Do any of them know you? I know that may seem irrelevant to you but its not.

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I start the conversation with, the year of their house and the history of it and my interest in history. Timing is key and I talk about my hobby. Read the person, and if they are not interested, quit, otherwise, get to the point and ask. It is either yes or no. If unsure, offer to show them. Good luck!

OP
OP
O

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to be clear, would I be using this "old timer" as a reference? I really like the flyer idea as well thank you epackage.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Oradden,

This will require you guys to employ a bit of salesmanship. You're selling yourselves, so make a nice appearance, look them in the eyes, explain you are a local student of history who's passion is the digging of old glass and ceramics buried years ago, before the days of garbage collection, in trash pits and privies. Answer their questions and concerns straightforwardly. Assure them that you will return their property to present conditions after the dig is done, and make sure you do. Check back in a month to double check.

The worse that can happen is that you get a "No."

Is there a Bottle Club in your neck of the woods? Merrimack Valley Antique Bottle Club for instance? Good networking situations at similar venues...

Door-212x300.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Another "aid" is to bring a few examples of what you are looking for Oradden. Also, while they are looking promise them that absolutely nothing will be disturbed and they are more then welcome to come watch.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older folks are skeptical. It may take several visits to gain their trust. Go to them and present yourself as a young person who is interested in the history of their homeplace and community. It could take 1 visit or even 3 before you can pop the question. Keep a couple of old bottles in your vehicle and you can always go back to the car and get them when you feel the timing is right to ask the question. A last resort is to barter with them... Do you have anything around your home that you need help in repairing or moving? Etc..

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice.

I especially like the "pull up your pants" one. I saw a couple of kids the other day who defied the laws of physics - their pants crotch was at the knee level. Just what the attraction is in that, I'll never know. Cool is in yourself, not your pants around your ankles. That tells us "idiot".

Pants_billboard540.jpg

02ad81ad3f124d7f40e06852d2281b6d.jpg

I'd start with your interest in history. Show them a Sanborn map and then ask about their house and neighborhood. How long have they been there, etc.

It really helps if you can put the dirt on a tarp - it keeps the grass looking "cleaner" and your work easier. That will help your later referrals.

OP
OP
O

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll apply the above information a couple of times and then give all of you guy's an update. Thank you for the help!

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mean to be biased, but I think "surfs"got about the best advise thier.:icon_thumright:

Greenie
Oct 15, 2010
Orraden,

Best of luck digging. It is a great hobby. Permissions are the hardest part of the game. I will agree that your youth may be a disadvantage. But don’t let that stop you. I have been told “no” a million times. It hurts at first, but thirst for bottles will motivate you past that.
I am willing to share some tried and true techniques, the only thing I ask is that you always do what is right and I fully expect you to report back with all your finds.
1. Shy away from small towns and big cities. Small town folk are wary of strangers. It seems very hard to get permissions there. The big cities I live around have been hit savagely by diggers since the 1970s. There is nothing like busting butt to get a permission only to find out the pits in the yard have been dug in the past.
2. Empty lots are dynamite. If you are willing to dig a privy I know you are not afraid of hard work. I have scored many an empty lot in exchange for a lawn mowing or two.
3. Talk about it. People at work think I am crazy to dig old crappers. I hear about it all the time. I like nothing more than somebody to bring it up at lunch so I can go on about. It has lead to quite a few friend of a friend digs. Let your friends and family spread the word and network permissions.
4. Landlords. Drive around Saturday or Sunday morning early. You will typically see them working on their rentals. An exchange for lawn mowing has worked plenty for me. Once your foot is in the door with him you will have permissions on the rest of his properties.
5. Bank owned repossessed houses that are for sale. Typically they have the for sale sign out front. Call the realtor. I hate to beat the lawn mowing thing to death, but there again I have landed many a permissions in exchange for a lawn mow. Typically the realty outfit mows the lawn for the bank. If you can save the realtor time and money he will gladly let you dig. This can lead to more digs when you find the other houses he has listed. I want to add too that I have lots of luck making phone calls. I have been told by my wife and others that I look mean. I would like to think that I am a nice guy and people should not judge you by the way you look. But, I may intimidate or scare people when I knock on the door. I would like to think my niceness comes out over the phone, and that is why I have good luck doing it.
6. Contact your local historical societies and explain what you do, sell the history angle, and invite them to sponsor a dig at a members house. The members love history and most own historic homes. This has lead to some good digging, but you will have to be willing to part with bottles.
7. Parlay. I have gotten the most permissions from neighbors who are curious to what you are up to when they see you probing or digging in the back yard. Chat them up, wave to them, joke around when you see them. It is hard to sell the concept of digging. When they can see for themselves what is up and how you return the yard back to predug condition the permission will sell itself.
8. Safety, Safety, Safety. This really isn’t a permission tip, but in my mind is the golden rule of digging. There are bottles out there that are worth a lot intrinsically and monetarily. But, they are not worth your life or serious injury. Never dig over your head. Never dig tunnels. Never dig alone. You need to use a location service to mark underground utilities before you dig. If you stab a gas line or an electric line you will risk getting hurt and taking a big financial hit. Not to mention the bad reputation when the utility has to come in did a big hole in the yard to fix your mistake. Careful where you dig. It is not worth getting robbed or hurt in the crappy parts of town. Use a dust mask when digging. Silica, ash, etc is not good for the lungs and will cause serious health problems.
I would like to add a couple pointers. I typically refer to the bottles being in “trash pits” in the back yard and how they did not have garbage pick up in the old days and this is how some folks got rid of their trash in pits in the back yard. It seems people have a hard time rationalizing that houses did not have plumbing and you had to poop outdoors. And if they do believe they crapped out doors they find it disgusting that you would be willing to dig in an old pile of poop. I suggest too to never talk about what bottles are worth. People are afraid you are going to get rich off of them. If you are getting into digging thinking that you are going to get rich you are sadly mistaken. These treasure hunting TV shows that have been running the last couple of years are a total joke and 99% are fake. I have busted my butt digging and detecting. If there was money in it I would have quit my job years ago. You could get a minimum wage job at your local fast food joint and be way ahead monetarily. Last bit of advice is to share the bottles with anyone interested. That too has lead to permissions for me. You will start out hording every little bit of glass you find. Next thing you know you will have buckets and boxes full of slicks and commons. It was hard for me to want to give anything up when I first started. But, it goes a long way when the owner who let you dig gets to share in the booty.
Good luck!

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ASK!

The worst thing that could happen is they will say, "no".

To be honest, I'd be far more likely to grant permission to a couple of ambitious 17 year-olds than a full-blown middle-age man. Youngsters do not intimidate me. If I notice that I do not like what you're doing to my property, I'd ask you to be sure to fix it before you leave. I'm afraid I may not get the same cooperation from someone my own age ... some of us get set in our ways with time.

I once lived in north/central Mass. You could be in my old 'hood! Our ancesteral privy was a 3-seater; sized S, M, L. Mom, Pop & Baby Bear!

Good luck!

Don't wait! ASK!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know any of the oldtimers? Do any of them know you? I know that may seem irrelevant to you but its not.

exactly. Start out with family, Friends and acquaintances in that order :thumbsup:

the first one should be at someone who is most likely to look the other way if you screw up, Or
find the hope diamond so to speak.

Once you are getting comfortable the rest should get easier

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread