I need some opinions from the experts on a bottle that I found on Friday.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I would like to know what you think this bottle was used for. I thought at first it was an early milk bottle with a cream catcher at the top, but I read online that the first one was patented in 1925. I think this one is earlier because it is blown with a tooled lip. My other thought was it might be a pickle jar. Has anyone seen this bottle before with a label? The only embossing is a # 1 on the bottom. Thank's for any help.

P.S. I dug this bottle out of the river and it looks really good. It had some jet black stains that the Lime-A-Way took out and the baby oil cleaned up the rest.

SANY0217.jpg

SANY0218.jpg

SANY0219.jpg

Wolverine.

Digger Wendell

May 31, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats not milk bottle related for sure, that lip isnt milk bottle type, and with a tooled lip like that its from the 1800's era, 1880's or 90's, something like that. As far as what it was for i dont know, but i bet its food related. I have been digging bottles since 1998 and havent seen one like this.

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thanks Wendell. Surf the two bottles were about 6 feet apart and about the same depth. I figured they were about the same time period because most of the bottles that I found in this 40 yard section are 1890's to pre-prohibition. I thought you might like this picture.
Thanks for the info. guys.
Wolverine.

SANY0221.jpg

These are a few of the bottles from the same area.

SANY0146.jpg
SANY0148.jpg
SANY0153.jpg
SANY0156.jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far under the sand/mud are you finding these bottles? Are you probing for them?

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
bass assassin i am probing for them with a spring steel privy probe. The bottles are just under the sand to a foot down.

Wolverine.

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
SANY0153.jpg

Could anyone tell me much about the bottle in the middle of this picture? Very interesting to me.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr wolverine, is this riverbank in town or just outside of town? The reason i am curious is because i have a location in mind that was first settled in roughly 1800. Problem is, the location is now the oldest section of town and is where the courthouse and state/federal buildings now reside. My suspicions have always told me there were "goodies" buried in the sand at the bottom of the steep riverbank, maybe just slightly downstream. If the river gets low again this year as it did last year, the bass assassin may be loading the boat with bottles instead of bass this summer.

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
The bottle is a NuGrape soda bottle. This is how it reads on both sides. NuGrape -imitation grape- trademark registered- and on the heel - bottle pat'd March,9th,1920. On the other side it reads NuGrape- not grape juice. In the ribbon under NuGrape it reads -a flavor you can't forget. I haven't done any research on it but I think it's a Michigan product.

Wolverine.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Wolverine.

NuGrape is outta Atlanta, though it was bottled all over the place. Does yours have any information on the base?

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Cool picture Surf. There is nothing on the bottom of the bottle. I have found a few of them and the embossing has a lot case wear so I could see it coming on a train from Atlanta. I don't keep to many ABM bottles unless they catch my eye so they are the last bottles that I research. Thanks for the info.

Wolverine.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Wolverine,

I'm sure there was a Detroit bottler of Nu Grape. Dossin's may have been the guys for some time:
1_af96e2bf36d5e8c591069a76b5c6b9c6.jpg

"2) Nice, 1920-30's, 9 1/4" tall, 8 oz., clear glass, crown top NU GRAPE soda pop bottles & an original cardboard 6 pack DOSSIN'S carrier .... the 2 bottles are both embossed NUGRAPE SODA on the front & back, DOSSIN'S DETROIT, MICH. on the base." 2) DOSSINS NuGrape Detroit MICHIGAN Mi soda DECO bot (06/21/2010)...

514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hay wolveren.that first bottle is not a food or a milk. its a rock and rye wiskey made 1910 or so.hand fineched.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here's a framed mirror advert which is languishing here. I have a bottle and a hanging stand for it . . . . but no room to hang either bottle or reverse-painted mirror. (That's a ceiling light fixture reflection under "Drink.")

NuGrape_mirror.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
After looking into sunrunners lead I think that it might be a Rock & Rye bottle. I just could'nt figure out why a liquior bottle would have such a large opening. Then I remembered a Rock & Rye flask that I found last year and had wondered why that had a large opening. The reason why these bottles have large openings is because they had fruit in them. The Clearfruit patent on the flask is for a process that keeps the fruit from turning dark. Another clue is in the catalog it reads 4 to a Gal. and this bottle is a quart bottle. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Wolverine.
SANY0234.jpg

SANY0232.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread