One small step...

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Today, broke bottle digging and collecting history today for Minkey and I. We finally got around to asking for permission for the privy and or dump.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum. All of your knowledge combined made this day possible. Thank you. I greatly appreciate it.

So, on to why this is so great. We got out of the house today and wanted to take a shot at permissions. First house, my neighbor because it is much easier to talk to someone on the subject that you know (sort of). The wife of the family was an elementary school teacher of mind and she remembered me right off the bat. I mainly spoke to the husband and gave him my speech on the "privy" and he smiled by the end of my reel. He turned out to me a metal detector and his son a history major, even his grandson was interested in metal detecting and bottle digging. He said, sure I know where the privy is... right over there! Pointing to a chicken coop. There was a large slant in my yard and I had filled it in about 10 feet. So you wouldn't be able to find it, but I'd allow you to. Then he started giving us leads on dumps around the forest he lived near and showed us some bottles that he had retrieved when he bought the house. He had some embossed glass, one bottle with a three digit phone number on it! Or so I believe... But then he showed us the seat, of the outhouse with one smaller hole and one that was larger. But all in all we had gotten turned down.

After that house we went to another. Asked the man who owned the property, and he had already dug the privy in his house. He said being down south he knew what it was right when he had seen it . So not discouraged yet we asked a third homeowner who said he had an interest in this when he was our age. Took a tour of his lawn. He showed us what he had gotten right out of his garden, a ring that was engraved..very old one might I add. And a glass cap from 1863. Posting a picture of that cap soon. Also he had shown us a bottle dump in his yard that he said may be the right age and permission to FIND the privy and possibly dig it. We will be returning there tomorrow and hopefully can get something worth a picture for you guy's. But we asked another man and did get a no. Sadly enough. But a friend of mine may be getting us a permission on his own house by his father to find the privy and definitely dig it. So there is hope there.

This is a rather large day for us seeing as we have not had many locations to dig, and have never dug a privy. Very exciting! Thanks to you guy's and the information you have given us! 8-)

cap 1863.jpg

OP
OP
O

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
We have already identified the cap, and the possible jar it could have gone to. That's why the bad picture. If anyone needs a better picture or wants the information on the cap ask and you shall receive!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Great to here it, look forward to your dig pics...good luck

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Oradden,

Glad to hear of the site gathering success. Congratulations, you've just started the building of your reputation as a digger in your town. Further success & positive word of mouth are on the horizon. I hope you've got the whole sod cutting, and tarp laying thing covered...

Looks like a Kline Stopper. Heck yeah, I wanna see better photos. That's an uncommon lid.

When are you gonna start punching holes?

24819_109122482446356_2450134_n.jpg

OP
OP
O

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll have you some better photo's today. Going to be going back out this morning. Hopefully can dig that privy.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oradden, congratulations on securing a site. Hope to see pictures soon. Good luck

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck digging!!

Keep us posted....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread