All Treasure Hunting

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety, as the saying goes "one mans trash, is now YOUR treasure" :icon_thumright:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle1.gif
Nice finds deershed.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely have taken those even if they don't have much value or anything. I just cant think of leaving something that is glass and somewhat old. I'm kind of a hoarder!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably take more bottles home then I should.We hit some pretty good old foundations and bottle dumps,we find a lot of good broken stuff.We just can't find the good unbroken stuff.
I think we're picking up missed bottles from someone else.
It doesn't help when we find an old bottle dump they never go deep.Most are bottles are either on or just below the surface??

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That Pluto Water bottle is more collectible than you think. "When nature won't Pluto will". Pluto water was a strong mineral salts based laxative, and of course water. Effective one to two hours after drinking the substance. I would imagine that the more that you drank would be more effective as a laxative. First bottled in French Lick, Indiana in the 20th century. I've seen some of the bottles go for more than $30, I say that as to show how collectible they are...I do not care for the value of a bottle. But only to what the person who found it values it as. Or the collector. Nice finds!

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Pluto Water bottle is more collectible than you think. "When nature won't Pluto will". Pluto water was a strong mineral salts based laxative, and of course water. Effective one to two hours after drinking the substance. I would imagine that the more that you drank would be more effective as a laxative. First bottled in French Lick, Indiana in the 20th century. I've seen some of the bottles go for more than $30, I say that as to show how collectible they are...I do not care for the value of a bottle. But only to what the person who found it values it as. Or the collector. Nice finds!

I have one of those. I think they're only a few bucks, but they're definitely somewhat of a curiosity. Great slogan!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Couple pictures of my Pluto...more for the competition I'm having with picture taking. This is off of an iphone 4 camera. About a 5 megapixel. For those who are not technically savvy, you can't purchase a new camera with under 13 megapixels and most are about 25mp. Basically the quality of the camera let's say for now.. So, tell me how the pictures are! Important to win my bet! Thanks.

Full bottle.jpg

Good top.jpg

Good emblem.jpg

Graduations.jpg

Good devil.jpg

pluto water emblem.jpg

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I did like the fact that the bottle was used as a laxative, or as I've read it was, and the contents of the bottle...not the bottle itself was :tongue3: and there are no measurements on the bottle. Just the graduations on the side of the bottle, I've posted a picture pointing this out.

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I probably take more bottles home then I should.We hit some pretty good old foundations and bottle dumps,we find a lot of good broken stuff.We just can't find the good unbroken stuff.
I think we're picking up missed bottles from someone else.
It doesn't help when we find an old bottle dump they never go deep.Most are bottles are either on or just below the surface??

Take into consideration, gravity. Also just humans being humans and throwing the bottles. Most bottles were thrown downhill or in dumps there was so much garbage it would pile straight up and fall over in one direction. I believe you are on the outskirts of the pile of everything that fell. If you are doing dumps. Maybe you could try and take a picture of one of your sites? Here is a picture that sort of describes the slant I'm speaking of. I feel like the treasurenet member, surf on this post. Can't be stealing his style now. :laughing7: He's the expert, not me.

Slant.jpg

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take into consideration, gravity. Also just humans being humans and throwing the bottles. Most bottles were thrown downhill or in dumps there was so much garbage it would pile straight up and fall over in one direction. I believe you are on the outskirts of the pile of everything that fell. If you are doing dumps. Maybe you could try and take a picture of one of your sites? Here is a picture that sort of describes the slant I'm speaking of. I feel like the treasurenet member, surf on this post. Can't be stealing his style now. :laughing7: He's the expert, not me.

View attachment 815467

I understand what your saying Oradden.

We are basically looking around old foundations (late 1800's early 1900's ) and which is probably not helping us, they're in the mountains.At each of the sites we've dug we found scattered bottles and glass laying on top then found what we think is the central dump site.Of the broken bottles and glass we find we find some really good looking stuff.Broken blob top tops,cork tops and with color,broken embossed bottles and thick heavy glass.
We would dig down about 2' and run out of bottles or broken glass.We would also see a difference in the soil where the glass runs out.
Our best dump was on a hillside like in your pic you posted.We found dozens of cork top medicines,marbles and some milks and sodas.
This was a bigger dump and we actually dug a lot deeper here.Only problem here when we got down deeper we found more burnt stuff and cans.The few whole bottles we did find were melted or deformed??
We need to find a privy or old well to dig.

I think another thing that is hurting our bottle hunts.We're only about 20 mins. from Gettysburg,Pa.Much of the area around here has been hit by metal detectors for years and were sure if they came across a good bottle or found a bottle dump,they wouldn't have passed them up.

Last edited:

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I can agree with people trying to search for history and treasure in your area. Now. Just from how my entire bottle digging and collecting experience is going I can at least tell you this. I've been to a 1700's foundation looking for the privy. The land is so different from back then I with a thousand probed holes could not find it. Or any of them...started to debate whether or not the building had one being a tannery and all.

Privy hunting, which I'm gaining more experience with is going to be done in a town. A more densely populated area than you think. And gaining permission just takes as many times as you ask. Try getting a map or looking at the date of the house if it is listed on the side of the house. Or you may be able to tell right off the bat how old it is just like I can.

But the story on the dumps. My best finds were broken.

Bottle Necks 1830's.jpg

These are bottle necks from the 1830's dump that I found. These would have been the oldest if only Harry Pristis did not post pictures on here that I have seen. His bottles being from the 18th century. This dump I worked for many day's and at a blistering pace due to having a very good technique for getting down to the "use" layer of the dump as I commonly call it jokingly. That's where the bottles are and... on this dump there were no bottles. Only this. After days of working.

puff.jpg

This was the only bottle in an area that was half the size of a football field. Except there were a TON of broken tops and pottery e.t.c in the area. Just enough to make you want to dig.

So, I have not found a deep dump yet. I have found a few. None deeper than what you are saying. So what you are getting is common. Only a matter of time before you find a deeper dump. Or get yourself doing a privy!

example of a privy.jpg

Attachments

• amazing find.jpg
    amazing find.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 81

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread