First bottle pick turned out to be a monster!

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
Hi everyone,

After some bartering and manual labor for my old neighbor, I was lucky enough to get permission do dig out her old farm trash pit. This is a shot of most of what I dug out today and is only about 1/4 of whats in there. Lots of small colored bottles and white glass smalls. I must have about 60 Lincoln Glass Bottle Co alcohol bottles, anyone have any idea on how much they are worth? I'm going to post pics of everything once I get some cleaned up. It's gonna take me another 3 days or so to get the rest of them out of the pit. I'm so exited, never picked for glass before, I'm hooked! I'm gonna md the site it after I'm done.

Bolttle Pick Day 1.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I must have about 60 Lincoln Glass Bottle Co alcohol bottles, anyone have any idea on how much they are worth?

Hey Hoof,

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but if they are the unembossed amber crown tops, they are worth recycling.

"Lincoln Glass Bottle Co., Lincoln, Illinois (1942-1952)
Knox established the Lincoln Glass Bottle Co. at Lincoln, Illinois, on October 21, 1942.4 The branch used a single continuous tank with five machines to make amber beer bottles for Anheuser Busch and was open from 1942 until 1952 when it was sold to the Obear-Nester Glass Co., East St. Louis, Illinois (American Glass Review 1943:174; Oil City Derrick 1942:10; Toulouse 1971:296, 298; Underwood interview)." Knox Glass Bottle Co.

There are lots of interesting bottles from this time period, especially the sodas & milks. So keep digging. I'm looking forward to seeing your finds after the cleanup.

OP
OP
Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
Oh that's too bad. So, if there is no name or mark embossed on the face of a bottle, it's most likely not worth much? I do have a good amount so far with names and marks, in the process of cleaning them.

Hey Hoof,

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but if they are the unembossed amber crown tops, they are worth recycling.

"Lincoln Glass Bottle Co., Lincoln, Illinois (1942-1952)
Knox established the Lincoln Glass Bottle Co. at Lincoln, Illinois, on October 21, 1942.4 The branch used a single continuous tank with five machines to make amber beer bottles for Anheuser Busch and was open from 1942 until 1952 when it was sold to the Obear-Nester Glass Co., East St. Louis, Illinois (American Glass Review 1943:174; Oil City Derrick 1942:10; Toulouse 1971:296, 298; Underwood interview)." Knox Glass Bottle Co.

There are lots of interesting bottles from this time period, especially the sodas & milks. So keep digging. I'm looking forward to seeing your finds after the cleanup.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoof heated, Surf was only speaking of those particular Lincoln bottles in your picture. Not all bottles. Keep on digging and show us some more. Enjoy those photos. There may be some older bottles under all the newer ones.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh that's too bad. So, if there is no name or mark embossed on the face of a bottle, it's most likely not worth much? I do have a good amount so far with names and marks, in the process of cleaning them.

Hey Hoof,

The old Fish Killer translates for me quite well. These 1942-1952 era "slicks," as some of the bottle guys call them, modern non embossed bottles have little to no interest to the collector community at this time. They were mass produced by machines to a thirsty post war America. Without a label, they become that much less interesting. When you dig 60 intact examples of just about anything, in one spot, at one time, you've gotta suspect they are ultra common.

As I said, there are some interesting and collectible bottles from this time period; milks and sodas being the most notable. ACL's and Pyro were flourishing. Had you dug 60 Pat-D 6oz. Coca-Colas, you'd be looking at $60 + depending on the town, condition, and your personal relationship with the Bottle Godz. Sixty Antrols might be good.

Hf10247.jpg

again, the moon & tide factor is at work...

Tr50105.jpg

Condition, color, rarity, embossing, in making flaws & funkiness, all have bearing on a bottle's "value."

This one:
5446264420_74ecf5d2fa.jpg
is more prized,​

than this one:
$(KGrHqZ,!qoF!-QF7fYiBQgpQe2uCQ~~60_35.JPG

You get the idea, I'm sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread