Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these in a surface dump last week. Hoping for age, use, value (if any), really just any info at all.

#1 - "DeTurk & Longaker / <logo> / Lansdale, PA / Registered"
I had someone at work cut the broken bit off with a diamond saw. It looks much better now.
20130701_131437.jpg

#2 - no embossing, neck is cleanly broken just below lip, handblown w/ air bubbles and raised base
olive green glass
20130701_131548.jpg

#3 - "<brand illegible> / <logo> / Trademark / __ 9th St / Registered"
Amethyst-colored glass
20130701_131656.jpg

#4 - unknown handblown tapered double collared neck
olive green glass
20130701_131732.jpg

#5 - more unembossed broken bottle
olive green glass
20130701_131752.jpg

#5 - unembossed broken bottle w/ raised base
dark green/black glass
20130701_131808.jpg 20130701_131818.jpg

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in the right area obviously. Keep looking -maybe there's some whole ones waiting for you. Good luck.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see I'm not the only shard collector. Nice finds!

I don't actually collect shards. In fact, with exception to 4 old Ball mason jars and marbles I find, I don't collect glass at all. I gathered these bc they looked older than what I'm used to finding and wanted some age on them. Thanks for the positive encouragement, though :)

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't actually collect shards. In fact, with exception to 4 old Ball mason jars and marbles I find, I don't collect glass at all. I gathered these bc they looked older than what I'm used to finding and wanted some age on them. Thanks for the positive encouragement, though :)

Oh well! Anyway, I collect the really good pieces with neat colors, embossing, and old age. I'm not really sure how I should display them though. It's sort of a bittersweet collection. The pieces are cool, but remind me of what could have been. The best stuff is always broken!

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh well! Anyway, I collect the really good pieces with neat colors, embossing, and old age. I'm not really sure how I should display them though. It's sort of a bittersweet collection. The pieces are cool, but remind me of what could have been. The best stuff is always broken!

Would you ever buy any for your collection? Our do you just collect what you find?

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you ever buy any for your collection? Our do you just collect what you find?

No, I probably wouldn't. They're just cool to me because I found them. I really don't think they have value, and I've never seen any for sale. I have mostly tops because it's interesting to see all the different variations out there.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I put all my shards in a huge glass jug-easily visible and no sharp edges!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cti4sw, i'm with Rebel, you are in a great area. Keep looking for you are bound to find a whole one

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cti4sw, i'm with Rebel, you are in a great area. Keep looking for you are bound to find a whole one

scotk9 and I did some digging there already. Judging by the impact marks on some of the shards, we think some kids a long time ago brought them to their present location and threw rocks at them. We've dug beneath them, and very shallowly hit the rocky clay that is characteristic to our area. We're not very optimistic about more intact ones being in that immediate area.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't there - so I don't know but, I think that I would consider using a hard pronged rake and pull back all the coverage that I could. Perhaps, small drug store bottles / inks etc. might be there as well as other small items commonly found in an old dump site? JMO - Good luck!

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I ain't there - so I don't know but, I think that I would consider using a hard pronged rake and pull back all the coverage that I could. Perhaps, small drug store bottles / inks etc. might be there as well as other small items commonly found in an old dump site? JMO - Good luck!

We did that too, without much luck.

Not to sound obnoxious, bc I'm not trying to, but you're right - you're not here, and don't know. It's difficult for me to explain without showing y'all. This site is on the opposite side of the same property on which scotk9 and my other, more productive dump site is. The property parcel used to be a mid-20th century house (no longer there) situated on the side of a small incline that was cut away and leveled to build a box truck plant. On the low side of the property is the creek, where Scott and I dug all those mason jars, milk bottles, insulators, etc. On the high side of the property is a similar house (long since abandoned) that we believe was built on the foundations of a much older house. The older house's remnants have been pushed in several directions and spread over the land it sat on. When we find patches of glass debris, we dig it (and occasionally find one or two mostly-intact bottles) but nothing at any depth beyond a few inches. The ground here is mostly clay, with some brown riverstone mixed throughout, and it becomes immediately evident when the sides or bottom of a dump have been reached.

At the creek dump, we generally stopped and changed direction when we hit the rocky clay, and it's no different uphill at the other two surface dumps. Once we dug down into that clay, it becomes highly unlikely we'll find anything else.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread