A family heirloom makes it to my shelf

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Lorillard tobacoo jar belonged to, and was canned by my great grandmother who lived in Georgia. When I was about 11 or 12 and first started diggin/collectin old bottles ,my grandmother showed this to me,and said when she was gone ( I lost my grandmother 5 years ago) I would get this jar. This is what I remember her telling me : Your great grandma Purvis used the tobacoo (smoking or snuff ? ) then saved the jars for canning,there were 2 of them that were saved ( I have one & my mother has the other one ) when she died. It is full of Georgia figs,if held in just the right light you can see them. The lid is not original to the jar,so great grandma must have salvaged parts from different jars for her canning, My mothers has the same lid and closure as mine,,,, but she opened it sometime in the 70's and dumped out the figs :dontknow: ,,,,,,,,,,,, she said she was worried us kids would open it :BangHead: Oh well , one of the 2 still has the contents,and always will,,,well at least until I'm gone ,, There is also a crockery whiskey jug that belonged to my great grandmother,that my grandmother said was mine as well ,wen I find it I will show it off as well.

Attachments

• DSCF5225.JPG
    DSCF5225.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF5227.JPG
    DSCF5227.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF5228.JPG
    DSCF5228.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 112

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice jar Charlie. Do you know when your grandmother last filled this jar?

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bass,I'm trying to pin the date down,will get back to ya

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
This Lorillard tobacoo jar belonged to, and was canned by my great grandmother who lived in Georgia. When I was about 11 or 12 and first started diggin/collectin old bottles ,my grandmother showed this to me,and said when she was gone ( I lost my grandmother 5 years ago) I would get this jar. This is what I remember her telling me : Your great grandma Purvis used the tobacoo (smoking or snuff ? ) then saved the jars for canning,there were 2 of them that were saved ( I have one & my mother has the other one ) when she died. It is full of Georgia figs,if held in just the right light you can see them. The lid is not original to the jar,so great grandma must have salvaged parts from different jars for her canning, My mothers has the same lid and closure as mine,,,, but she opened it sometime in the 70's and dumped out the figs :dontknow: ,,,,,,,,,,,, she said she was worried us kids would open it :BangHead: Oh well , one of the 2 still has the contents,and always will,,,well at least until I'm gone ,, . . . .

I think that the Helme lid is original. I believe that Lorillard bought Helme, including the brand name; but, it's been a long time since I did the research.

snuffhelmejar.JPG

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry ,WOW ! thanks for the info and picture !! I'm guessing now that it has the original lid ,as your pic,and my moms jar both have the same lids. Talked to mom a little last night,,, she said its from my Great Great Grandmother,not my Great Grandmother. My Great Great Grandmother I believe passed away sometime in the early 1900's ,I'm digging out the family history folder to find out when exactly. Mom said somewhere is a letter where my Grandfather wrote down the info on the jars and the whiskey jug,shes looking for it. Thanks again !!

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD in PA ,it is not black glass,held to a light you can get some light through the shoulder,it is amber,but a very dark amber,much darker than the one in the pic Harry shared,combined with the figs inside,it does appear that way. Surf, thanks for the pic with the label ! my Mom said ,that it was snuff Mamie used.. Also we have narrowed it down that these figs were canned APPX ! 1895 to 1900,,If we can find my Grandfathers notes,maybe we can get a more accurate date

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread