Need some info on Hood Half Gallon Jug....

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello

I stumbled upon this at a local flea market. I'm not a bottle collector but for a dollar it was a good price for me cause it looks cool :D so either way it will be a win win for me. But I can't find any information on this bottle at all. Here is all the info I have about it

One side on the bottom says "Half Gallon Liquid'
The other side on the bottom says "reg sealed ugp op"
On another side it has the numbers "113"
It looks to have a twist top? i don't have the top but from what I can tell there are little rivets along the side i assume for something to twist onto
the bottom of the bottle/jar says "63"

I've attached pictures below. Let me know if you need any other pictures

IMG_20130707_234830.jpg IMG_20130707_234924.jpg IMG_20130707_234935.jpg IMG_20130707_235000.jpg IMG_20130707_235015.jpg IMG_20130707_235025.jpg IMG_20130707_235059.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Deeseven,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us your milk bottle. I believe the "63" on the bottom would be the date code for your milk. Hood was, and is a huge New England dairy. There's quite a bit of information online about them.

OP
OP
D

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the welcome and info, i sent them an email waiting for a reply

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always known that you could buy stuff "in the hood". But never milk!:laughing7: - I'm kidding around, you've got a cool bottle Deeseven. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Garebel1861

that was a major letdown...apparently hood doesn't keep historical records of their bottles so they have no clue other then "it is a nice bottle"

so back to square 1, My fiancee is cute about it..her way of thinking

"well hun if you can't find anything about it..doesn't that mean it is like rare?"

or as common as they come lol

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to agree with surf on this one. Based on the style along before I read the number 63 , I was going to put a date of 60's to early 70's. Rare and valuable, maybe not, but you can fill it up with quarters and it will be worth a little something then.

Your bottle was made by Universal Glass Products. I'm sure you can get a date from them. I do believe, as does surf, that the number 63 is a date code.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info everyone, I sent an email to one of the bottle clubs just to see if someone knows anything

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the info everyone, I sent an email to one of the bottle clubs just to see if someone knows anything

Hey Deeseven,

What exactly are you trying to find out about this bottle? It seems like you've received some very good information from a number of members. If you're thinking it's valuable, please think again. It's a Sixties vintage, large, not terribly attractive Half Gallon from a huge dairy; nearly the definition of common. Have a look at the half gallons that are busy not selling @ electronic auction presently. Many have unrealistic BIN prices attached to them.

I'm a bottle digger, and have many, too many, bottles in my collection. Shelf real estate restrictions would prevent me from even bringing that home, had I found it in the wild. One of these days, I'm gonna thin the milk bottle herd of the quarts, as I think they are too big, but I'm not a milk collector per se.

Please don't take this as an attack, or put down.

OP
OP
D

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks surf, you didn't come off as attacking or putting me down :). I'm not after a money value at all. To me it is just a glass bottle, I'm really just curious as to who/what/when. I actually have it hanging out over the fireplace next to a stack of susan b anthony coins.

I appreciate the info as always I'm one of those "I have to figure out everything about this item" so the info I got was good, i also got an email back from one of the bottle clubs and like surf said, ungodly common and not worth anything. Which i'm fine with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions