emerald green glass bottle id. help please

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Found this years ago. It is one of several dozen I picked up when an old dump was excavated for underground parking for a new apartment bldg. There was literally thousands of bottles coming out of the ground. With each excavator bucket pull, we could hear the pop pop pop of breaking bottles. The amount of them was incredible. We stayed in the hole as it was being dug and just threw out as many bottles as we could while the machine worked. We soon learned which bottles were very common, so we only took the rarer ones. I boxed them up years ago, and this one must have been one of my favorites because it didn't stay with the rest. I am curious as to what it may have been used for. It's just shy of 5 1/2 inches tall,and there are no markings..

DSCN3406.JPG DSCN3407.JPG Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed!

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
A French capers bottle. Capers are flower buds from a Mediterranean shrub. They were popular for flavoring cooked dishes at the TOC20. I guess they are still used by some cooks today. (The capers have a very perfumey taste, not to my liking.)

capersmodern.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
With smoked salmon...

smoked_salmon_parcel.gif

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the color is outstanding....

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Forget the bottle I'm headed out to get some cold smoked salmon and capers mmmmmmm! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread