Is a dump that was used from late 1800s to 1950s worth digging?

Cutaplug

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a dump that was used from late 1800's to 1950's worth digging?

I managed to locate a city dump that was used from the late 1800's to the 1950's. It's HUGE and on a hillside so the old trash and bottles are just sliding down the hill and ready to be rummaged through. Does a trash dump need to be older to be worth messin with or should there be some interesting stuff in this site? I've heard bottles aren't really valuable unless they were made in the late 1800's or earlier before produced by the mass... I've never really dug much in old dumps so not sure what to expect:icon_scratch:

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIG! Might not be the super valuable stuff but that would never stop me. You never know. You could get some nice locals, sodas, beers, medicines. Do it!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just tell us where you live and where it's at !!! You'll have plenty company :)

Alas, give away no secrets.....

Drats....

Just about everyone here would be there in 2 shades of a second!

So, you now have the obligation to tell us what you find there.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be there now, DIGGING. Your older material may be at the bottom. You could always do some exploratory holes to see whats down below.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Cutaplug

Cutaplug

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the words of encouragement =) It's on a super steep hillside so got a rescue 8 and some climbin rope for safety measures. It's one of those hills that you can climb but have to grap stuff to get up it so should be pretty interesting. I'll be posting videos on my youtube channel to show what all I find and sort of document the digs. Hopefully will come up with some good stuff out of there.

Any tips for a new dump digger on what to look for that could be valuable? Do you ever find coins, silver flatware or jewelry? IMG_0839.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go to the bottom of the hill 1st and look around. Sounds like thats gonna be a tough hillside to retrieve bottles/relics. Sounds a bit dangerous

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt invest time at the bottum of the dump you want to midway of the dump less damage on the bottle's . I gladly help you in your dump you found . hehe

OP
OP
Cutaplug

Cutaplug

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go to the bottom of the hill 1st and look around. Sounds like thats gonna be a tough hillside to retrieve bottles/relics. Sounds a bit dangerous

There is trash falling out of the hillside everywhere but about half way up I can see bottles just falling out by the dozens so will probably start there. I don't mind the danger really and enjoy a nice challenge. Gives me an excuse to play with fun manly gadgets like climbing gear =) Some blue jeans, leather gloves, and that 6,000lb climbin rope should keep me from getting hurt too bad. Unless I run into a copperhead but I have a snake bite kit for that :occasion14:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
give us a picture of what you are dealing with....want to see the dump

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lucky,lucky,lucky! I would give my eye teeth to be able to dig in a dump.Cant wait to see what you find. I would know what to look for in an area that has tons of construction debris as far as bottle hunting goes,should I start from the bottom up?

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats Great man...Sounds like you have a spot that will keep ya buys for awhile...Keep us posted on your finds!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is trash falling out of the hillside everywhere but about half way up I can see bottles just falling out by the dozens so will probably start there. I don't mind the danger really and enjoy a nice challenge. Gives me an excuse to play with fun manly gadgets like climbing gear =) Some blue jeans, leather gloves, and that 6,000lb climbin rope should keep me from getting hurt too bad. Unless I run into a copperhead but I have a snake bite kit for that :occasion14:

By now you're probably digging (I hope anyway!).

Yeah, sounds like you have the program, but I'd add a 22 auto pistol for the herps.

A common 90 degree garden scratcher works well to dig through the dumps.

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter challenger, and Ace 250, gold nugget bucket!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you dig it yet? what state are you in? if you where in arizona i would love too help, but i doubt it :/

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
I can think of a hundred things to look for. Painted label pops and milk at top of list. Oil cans in good shape and license plates. Marbles candy container on and on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread