Any Advise On Cleaning My First Dump Bottle Finds?

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be very thankful if someone here would take the time to pass on some of their wisdom to this dump bottle rookie. I stumbled on a dump in the bush while searching for Native Artifacts. I took some time to pick up some of what (there's many) was only on the surface and will return to dig deeper in the future as I'm sure the deeper I dig the better the finds. I've had them soaking in water and a little bleach (except for coke bottles with white writing) and am having trouble removing the crud on the insides. Is there a good tool I can use that is common to find around the house? I make my own libations and the bottle brush that I bought damages the inside of the neck of my demi johns because of it's metal shaft so I bring them to the coin op car wash to clean them now. Please help me to clean my first finds without damaging them.
IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Cool...Looks like you might have a nice little spot!...Im no way a expert at cleanign bottles..But i have asked many on here what to do, and it all worked out for me.

I used some CLR and sprayed them down to soak them a bit and got some copper wire and cut it up , shook it up in the bottle to get the muck out...and then soaked them in super hot water with a little vetagble oil and pulled them out and they came out looking pretty darn good.

Good luck..Hopefully someone might have an easier way

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,

I have had some luck with really hot water, and dishsoap, let them soak and rinse with a hose to get the insides clean.....Gary

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
But Backbacon, more importantly, you just dont have anything worth cleaning. If you insist, use warm soapy water and some 00 steel wool on the easy parts, the outsides. Then shake out the insides. You know what I mean by shaking. You should have that batch done in about an hour I reckon.

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But Backbacon, more importantly, you just dont have anything worth cleaning. If you insist, use warm soapy water and some 00 steel wool on the easy parts, the outsides. Then shake out the insides. You know what I mean by shaking. You should have that batch done in about an hour I reckon.

Thanks for the moral boost my friend, cleaning tip, and the encouragement, much appreciated.... I know they're not significant finds, once again, thanks for the cleaning tip and the encouragement.... :icon_thumleft:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey good job back bacon .Keep on digging,you never know what could be further down.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I start with a good soap water soaking and then the hose and slop out the insides with soapy water. After that I use a chemical flask brush on the insides.

A trip through the dishwasher won't hurt once there's no chunks to clog it up - that will expose what you will have trouble with. Do not tell your wife.

CLR works good; sometimes acid does; and sometimes lye, depending on what's on them.

A common dish scrubber won't hurt the glass, but steel wool is my last choice.

The nice thing about glass is it's so chemically inert that you can use anything but Hydrofluoric acid on it.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I start with a good soap water soaking and then the hose and slop out the insides with soapy water. After that I use a chemical flask brush on the insides.

A trip through the dishwasher won't hurt once there's no chunks to clog it up - that will expose what you will have trouble with. Do not tell your wife.

CLR works good; sometimes acid does; and sometimes lye, depending on what's on them.

The nice thing about glass is it's so chemically inert that you can use anything but Hydrofluoric acid on it.

NEVER put any old glass in the dishwasher. It can easily harm the glass. The glass cannot take that kind of heat and it could get damaged other ways in the washer. The last thing you would want is a nice bottle shattering in the dishwasher.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I read in Antique Trader that a little warm water and Clorox soak is o.k. for bottles.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My dishwasher has heat options, one of which is no heat.

A trick I've used to get the inside clean is some sand or very small gravel, the kind you get when classifying material for gold. Soak with some soap and hot water. Add the sand, swish it around....

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dishwasher has heat options, one of which is no heat.

A trick I've used to get the inside clean is some sand or very small gravel, the kind you get when classifying material for gold. Soak with some soap and hot water. Add the sand, swish it around....

Ok, but I still think the all the other options would do just as well, and I certainly wouldn't risk it. It could get bumped, jostled, I don't know. It would scare me.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

00 steel wool is mild to glass and will not harm it. Its by far the best way to clean rust and crud from the outsides of the bot. Inside....shake away with gravel/sand/water. Take it from somebody doing it for forty three years.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got one stuff for lime deposits,I wonder if that would be harmful to glass?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For that, i highly recommend barkeepers friend. There is a liquid form and a paste form. Many of those "lime" deposits are very difficult to remove if they can be removed at all. You'll have to go back in this section and look at some old posts to see some great cleaning methods. Harry shared how he makes his own bottle brushes and it is a great technique. I mostly use copper shot and water or barkeeper's friend. Copper will not scratch your glass. Everyone has their own way of cleaning and you'll have to experiment and decide for yourself which method works best for you. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug and cleaned more bottles than there are stars in the sky. I will do a good photo shoot of 500 plus bots I cleaned using these methods. If you are digging sh!tty rusty dump crappers like me, you need all the help you can get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread