Bottle found while metal detecting.

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Went out to a new area and found some cool things but when I went over to catch up with my friend, right before I got to him I look down and the bitters bottle was just lying out with only the neck covered. I pulled it out and could not believe it was complete and virtually perfect. Turned off the detectors and went into dig mode. Was not prepared to dig and we both ended up with cut fingers. Cant wait to go back. The smaller Black Glass bottle had a "K" on the bottom, any idea why A crude K would be embossed on the bottom? Only had a couple hours and found 9 complete bottles and the remainder were cracked or broken.

One bitters, Cod liver oil, Mexican Mustang liniment, two black glass, two doctors, and the remainder were plain.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 118

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Smilodon,

I wanna see closeups of the Mustang and the medicines, after their bath, please.

The bottle folk always want to see good, natural light, photos of the base, the lip and any delightful crudity...

mustang3.jpg HostettersCinci1855.jpg hoss2.PNG

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a nice discovery. They could have been broken so easily, it's nice that older bottles are usually thick compared tom the ones produced now days. I'm sure it helps for them to last all this time.

I'd like to see em after you clean them up, I hope you post some pics of them afterward.

Thanks for sharing your finds.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you can remember where you found them. There are probably more. Go slow and excavate the ground carefully. Can't wait to see these cleaned up and the others you will soon be finding. That is a nice lot you have. Congratulations and wear gloves please!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread