New Bottle Website

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I have re-published The Demijohn Page at The Demijohn Page

I had a similar site on-line a few years ago, until AOL dropped its FTP space. I've been meaning to put it back up, but hadn't gotten around to it till the past week, or so. When I did undertake the task, I found that the old images were inadequate. There are many new images on the site now.

If you visit The Demijohn Page, please give me some feedback . . . that is, criticism. You will be one of the first visitors, so don't hesitate to point out whatever I missed (or misspelled). Thanks.
demi_lobA.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Gadzooks Harry,

My first impression, not having yet visited your new site, is that that green loaf of bread is one of the most stunning demijohns I've ever seen. What are it's dimensions, and how did you come upon it?

What a beauty!

Gadzooks.png

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
13e766_4a28fba548ba892ea2cd185c8903b7c0.jpg_srz_283_229_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Three cheers, Harry!

Your site is a complete delight. I now know the dimensions of the Green Loaf, but not how you discovered it...

I did notice one typo: "In the newspaper advertisements covered, the name was not found until 1762, but in 1753 "wickered bottles wthat will hold 5 gallon" were advertised..."

Breathtaking collection, sir, wonderfully presented. I got a kick out of your including the perfume demijohn, and the salt shaker. I learned some stuff. I never knew that a quart would be included in the demimonde of demijohns.

Demijohn 18, oh Demijohn 18! You had me fully agape at Demijohn 18...

13e766_35af40d5dff224890b8fbff899ad1925.jpg_srz_450_455_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I wish I could report some exotic provenance for the 'loaf of bread' bottle . . . I bought it from a friend here in NCentral Florida many years ago. He didn't offer any source info.

Glad you like the site, Surf and BottleHunter . . . thanks for the typo.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I'd ever find some Sweet bottles like those,the site and info. is Awesome!!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice site Harry. I love the images and descriptions. The site is simple to navigate and very helpful. Full of information. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice site to see and learn.

Harry,

Do you have any problem with me posting pictures on this thread of the few that I have to see what you can tell me about them? I don't think I have any mind blowers like yours but I would be interested in any information that I can gather.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Very nice site to see and learn.

Harry,

Do you have any problem with me posting pictures on this thread of the few that I have to see what you can tell me about them? I don't think I have any mind blowers like yours but I would be interested in any information that I can gather.

Please do, GaRebel! I love to see other collections of big bottles! :^)

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have many but here they are. The first one pictured that appears to be frosted stands 14" tall and the other two are 13" in height. The darker green one I won in a $1.00 a ticket raffle years ago at a bottle show in Tampa. The two others I bought in shops in Atlanta and the other in Birmingham. I have less than $50 in all three. That is really all I can tell you about them. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Demi John (light green).jpg
    Demi John (light green).jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Demi John - bottom(1).jpg
    Demi John - bottom(1).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Demi John (Green).jpg
    Demi John (Green).jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Demi Jon (frost).jpg
    Demi Jon (frost).jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Demi Jon (1).jpg
    Demi Jon (1).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Demi John (2).jpg
    Demi John (2).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 80

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
around here when Harry speaks...people listen.....NICE site with GREAT pictures.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Harry, I enjoy everything you share. You have so much knowledge. My favorite piece is Demijohn 8. It's a wonderful bit of history, not just in bottles but in weaving also. Wish we could know how many hands touched these bottles, & who they were. Thanks again for sharing.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I don't have many but here they are. The first one pictured that appears to be frosted stands 14" tall and the other two are 13" in height. The darker green one I won in a $1.00 a ticket raffle years ago at a bottle show in Tampa. The two others I bought in shops in Atlanta and the other in Birmingham. I have less than $50 in all three. That is really all I can tell you about them. Any thoughts?

Thoughts? . . . Well, nothing profound, I fear. The frosted bottle and the green bottle are probably American-made at the TOC20 (perhaps a bit earlier for the green). It's unusual to find a demi buried or under water, so the frosting of your bottle is its most distinctive feature.

The third bottle appears to be a Bacardi rum bottle. Thanks for showing us your bottles!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thoughts? . . . Well, nothing profound, I fear. The frosted bottle and the green bottle are probably American-made at the TOC20 (perhaps a bit earlier for the green). It's unusual to find a demi buried or under water, so the frosting of your bottle is its most distinctive feature.

The third bottle appears to be a Bacardi rum bottle. Thanks for showing us your bottles!

Thanks. Any idea of age and/or value? Don't worry, you ain't going to hurt my feelings.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry, what is your most prized demijohn? Can we see it?

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks. Any idea of age and/or value? Don't worry, you ain't going to hurt my feelings.

I don't really know anything about Bacardi bottles . . . just enough to recognize the lady's leg neck.
The other two appear to be from about the turn of the 20th century. The green one was blown in a hinge mold, and might be a little earlier. My guess is that the majority of your $50 value is in the green bottle.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a beautiful piece. Amazing that its still intact. Very ,very nice. Thanks for showing it

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats gorgeous bottle Harry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions