People posting common 20th century bottles... why???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because we love to see them.

Besides there are allot of Newbies out there And show & tell helps people learn.

it's not like everyone can start out knowing
everything they ever wanted to know about bottles right off.

There are allot of very cool Sodas from the 20's & 40's too

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sound like an ******* and I realize that im new around here but what is up with people posting junk??! I mean, common bottles someone found on the surface from the 20s-40s come on guys you can do better than that! Im just wondering why people even bother posting this stuff?

Give people break! Some are not educated, and it is our duty to help them. FYI some 20s-40s stuff is valuable. Take the Jumbo Peanut Butter just posted. This sort of comment is completely uncalled for. Take a look at most of the stuff posted. It's not "junk" as you call it.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to sound like an *******

Too late for that, JO,

Just like you knew nothing about your Orcutt's; most folk don't really know much, if anything, about old bottles. Would you prefer not seeing them, at all?

Me, I like old glass, of many different eras. I'm always glad to see people's finds, and help with any information I may know, or am able to discover.

old-glass-and-rope-fishing-float_0.jpg

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surf brings up a good point. Where would you be if you hadn't posted it here? Sure, research would have worked, but with Tnet you got input from others.

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew that the Orcutts was from RI and extremely rare I just didnt know the full story on it because there is virtually nothing online. I just cant for the life of my understand why people would post this type of stuff. It just takes up space on the board and honestly im not trying to be a jerk. If I posted the 20 ketchup bottles I dug up the other day people would get annoyed im sure. Im just already tired of clicking on threads that are just pictures of unlabeled jars and stuff id see on the side of the road

Last edited:

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew that the Orcutts was from RI and extremely rare I just didnt know the full story on it because there is virtually nothing online. I just cant for the life of my understand why people would post this type of stuff. It just takes up space on the board and honestly im not trying to be a jerk. If I posted the 20 ketchup bottles I dug up the other day people would get annoyed im sure. Im just already tired of clicking on threads that are just pictures of unlabeled jars and stuff id see on the side of the road

No one is making you click on threads, nor use this site at all. As I said before, give people a break.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They post what they are able to find. May not have access to real old stuff but the finds they have are keeping them interested in learning and seeing more. I say post em if you got them and if I don't like the bottles age or look I won't comment on it. Ill move on to the next post. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I was a little harsh in my original post and I suppose its fine to post stuff if you are excited about it no matter what it is. Sorry to rub some people the wrong way

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself have been bottle digging forever and just got tired of looking at old glass.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I was a little harsh in my original post and I suppose its fine to post stuff if you are excited about it no matter what it is. Sorry to rub some people the wrong way

That's the point. They can post whatever they want. I think we'll let you stay because of your amazing cobalt med. LOL

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your entitled to your opinion, Don't let anyone tell you your not,
But again if someone is happy or curious about those Ketchup bottles,
posting them is the way to learn.

And you really Don't need to respond if you feel a Ketchup bottle
isn't worth your time :laughing9:

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true Jeff, probably should have just kept it to myself rather than starting a whole thread here. Im going back to the hole tomorrow so you guys can all make fun of me when I find nothing because of bad karma

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true Jeff, probably should have just kept it to myself rather than starting a whole thread here. Im going back to the hole tomorrow so you guys can all make fun of me when I find nothing because of bad karma

Hey, best of luck to you.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
If I posted the 20 ketchup bottles I dug up the other day people would get annoyed im sure.

Hey JO,

I'm sure that would depend on the catsups. I've dug a gazillion of them. I do agree that the unembossed, machine made examples are not too interesting. Because of their plenitude, they are often the first bottles that people find. They are frequently markers to dumps that may contain way better, and older goodies.

Hell, I've got nothing against catsups. I kinda like the old Campbells, Curtices, Heinz & sundry others. I've got several in my collection, such that it is. I know a guy who has a most impressive collection of tomato packing bottles and jars, of which anyone would be in awe.

campbell%20catsup%20100.jpg
il_570xN.234765012.jpg heinz1a.jpg brookswatertower.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-4220327793.jpg

Can someone tell me what this is? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminder to Self: Self, remember to post a picture of that 50's or 60's glass Asprin bottle you found a while back. The one with the raised lettering.

Some people getting into relic hunting were not even alive when that bottle was made. So to them, it's ancient history.

One of the main reasons I enjoy this hobby is because I can dig something up that I've never seen or had before, research it, or ask someone what it is. Forever committing this information to memory and sharing it with others.

I saved a few cans for a hunting buddy just to show the progression for soda cans since the early sixties, before Aluminum. To a new hunter, that could help them identify a sites age, just as a bottle could.

The guys in Europe are digging stuff 2000 - 3000 years old stuff. I don't see them complaining about people in the U.S. digging up mere 300 year old coins.

Anything that happened prior to the moment you are in right now, is therefore history, and worthy of noting. It will become relevant later, bet on it.

HH

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, i couldn't resist. I found this just last weekend. The reason i kept it is because it was the only whole bottle i found after 5 hours of digging. But when i look at it i am reminded that there could be an early coca cola or local embossed med at this site and its definitely a place i am going back to.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOrry didnt even notice there was a bottle there! The glass behind it is much more interesting ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread