Priviy Diggers! Need help for a project.

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing research into reviving lost and antique plants for a long term video...it'll be months to finish it. I know from my own digs and stories I've heard along the way, that strange plants often crop up in the tailings of the digs. So I'd like to test this under controlled conditions, lay out old dirt and see what grows.

Anyone have a current dig that would be interested in gathering some soil samples for me? I'm looking for a few pounds of dirt scraped directly out of the hole, not the tailing pile where things get mixed and contaminated. The idea is to have fresh sample with a known origin. Don't need a precise geographic location, just ball park: county and state and your best guess as to the age range of the privy.

Also, anyone have any stories, personal accounts of seeing new plants grow out of dig piles? This video could take up to a year to finish and I'd like to have some other material to include as well.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been doing research into reviving lost and antique plants for a long term video...it'll be months to finish it. I know from my own digs and stories I've heard along the way, that strange plants often crop up in the tailings of the digs.

Hey jim,

Interesting approach, sir. As a digger, I've always filled em back in. I've yet to hear of antique tomatoes growing on a former privy site. 8-) Though I've never followed up with a post dig, plantlife survey.

You would want samples from the seedy use layer. Will you be aiming for a privy secret garden?

mountain-farm-privy.jpg

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomatoes would be a bonus...but I'm curious if ANYTHING sprouts...besides puns, of course :-) :-) :-)

Lemme know if you get a dig going for samples from the working face in the seedy section.

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange plants? As in never before seen plants? :icon_scratch: Your into that SYFY stuff?

Not sure how poo crosses into Star Trek, but maybe time travelers made a pit stop? And things DO go extinct all the time, with or without the help of evil man...so yeah, something never before recorded might pop out as well as "lost", rare or antique strains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread