Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And you wanted to start off your collection with something that would be attractive to display but not break the budget what would you look for and how would you know you were getting a good deal? The Nashville CW show is coming up and I know I will be out scouting for a few bottles to buy but don't want to be the proverbial " chicken in the henhouse" and get taken.Thanks in advance.My husband bought me a mineral water bottle from Richmond and it is a light aqua green color with very light embossing still remaining.

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
There are a lot of buitifull bottles under 20.00 Duffys malt whiskeys, warners safes, bitterguelle bottles are nice. hock wine are always nice in lots of collors

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am new to bottle collecting somebody probably would take advantage of me.lol

I'd still be looking at the hutches,embossed or not.I'd be looking for them under $20.00 since there' a good many on E-bay for $20.00 or less minus the shipping.I know the hutches are older bottles and I think they're Awesome looking.
Check out the bottles on E-bay to get an idea what different bottles are going for.At the same time I've seen asking prices for some bottles I know are outrageous.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Coily,

Have you contacted the Middle Tennessee Club: Middle Tennessee Bottle & Collector's Club?

You might get to see some glass you would not otherwise get to see…

It really depends on what kinda bottles appeal to you.

Nashville has a long history of druggists. They're generally pretty reasonable, if not inexpensive…

OLDNASH_036.JPG

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Coily,

Have you contacted the Middle Tennessee Club: Middle Tennessee Bottle & Collector's Club?

You might get to see some glass you would not otherwise get to see…

It really depends on what kinda bottles appeal to you.

Nashville has a long history of druggists. They're generally pretty reasonable, if not inexpensive…

Ooooh a Nashville based bottle would be really neat Surf,I will look for some pharmacy and Nashville based bottles online then.I have not contacted them yet but I should,might be worth a day trip..Deershed I'm a little wary of ebay and the pricing on things it know little about but it doesn't hurt to look

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
My experience with bottle shows is that cash prices are competitive. Most sellers would be too embarrassed to overprice a bottle, much less try a rip-off. Reputation is important. You can usually compare prices for similar bottles (make a note of which dealer/table had the bottle you admired). Look for condition and color (colorless/aqua is common, colored glass is most desirable for a collection). Ask lots of questions at a show . . . it's a great venue to learn about glass!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is good to know Harry,that the sellers are concerned about their reputation and not looking for a Patsy.I just know at some CW shows I've been to relic fakes are a mild problem but word gets around on who to stay away from. I will do my shopping wisely then and take notes . I know purples are pretty but then again I know that some people use a process to turn them that color. I may buy a Codd,always liked the way they looked and they sell fairly fast at our antique booth.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The cobalt blue "POISON" bottles could make a nice collection. Some are very reasonable, some are quite pricey. They also came in other colors, such as amber, but the blue are my favorites. A skull shaped poison bottle recently sold on ebay for over 1500.00! Not by me, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread