Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the mister picked this out from a group of bottles he bought at the Marietta show and this one piques my interest.How rare is this? Should I keep it for myself and trade him to sell the purple ketchup bottle I picked out here at the Nashville show? The bottle has a triangle on the base as well as A&P.Hopefully you can see the seams. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image-3006911579.jpg
    image-3006911579.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks "nuked" to me. This means that the manganese in the glass has reacted with UV rays (from the sun or another source) to make this artificial amethyst color. These bottles are nuked in order to create some sort of value or interest, but they have little value when this purple. Still pretty though!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks "nuked" to me. This means that the manganese in the glass has reacted with UV rays (from the sun or another source) to make this artificial amethyst color. These bottles are nuked in order to create some sort of value or interest, but they have little value when this purple. Still pretty though!
I wondered if it was one that had been nuked.I have not been able to find one that color anywhere on the web.I wonder had it not been nuked is it a rare one? A thread I found from 2008 indicates it might be one that is hard to find,maybe not valuable though.People should leave things alone and leave the glass to its natural color.

Last edited:

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly my thought. It's not the real bottle collectors who nuke bottles. Just people trying to scam the novices and make money.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with bhofcc, as far as this being an irradiated bottle.

It is not scarce. I have dug them. The club sauce bottles just do not get any respect, in praise, or dollars.

"A & P ……………Uncertain. Reported on the base of a sauce bottle (a Worcestershire Sauce “lookalike” brand) dating circa 1880s. In this case the mark is probably that of the food product maker or distributor, and not that of the glass maker."GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE

" Worcestershire Sauce - The Rivals.

Lea and Perrins has not been the only Worcestershire sauce to be made. Its early success encouraged other firms to copy the recipe in competition. In 1906, Lea and Perrins took legal action against a Birmingham sauce manufacturer called Holbrooks, to try and restrict the use of the name "Worcestershire Sauce". The court decided that the name could be used by anyone, but only Lea and Perrins had the right to call theirs 'Original and Genuine'
Sauces were particularly popular during the 19th and 20th centuries as they gave flavour to otherwise plain food and helped tenderise tough cuts of meat. They were also useful for disguising the flavour of foods that were past their best." Worcester City Art Gallery & Museum - Spirit of Enterprise Exhibition - Wine & Sauce Making

Wake-Up-Worcester-Sauce.jpg

"At one time there were 6 separate sauce factories in Worcester, England, each producing the thin, market-leading Worcester sauce.

Lea & Perrins
Four Flags
Mellor & Co.
Courtney’s.
Waldren and Co.
Stretton and Co." Early Bird Worcester Sauce

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just really like bottles in their natural state and the color on that one is pretty heinous now that I look at it. Surfs I love reading all your bottle history posts,thank you for taking time to enlighten me.There is only one Worchestershire sauce in my opinion and that's Lea and Perrins.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
If you get a bottle for a $1 or $2 and like it for the window sill it's ok, my advice is too avoid paying any more than that for purple bottle unless they are hair product bottles, those are the only bottles that come in some beautiful shades of purple for the most part. That being said, LEARN about the hair bottles too before spending more money on them...

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will study up some more,thanks Surfs,epackage and all.I guess we all have to start somewhere huh? I'll tell you a bottle that I love is a Codd.I know they're not worth much but there is just something about them.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I will study up some more,thanks Surfs,epackage and all.I guess we all have to start somewhere huh? I'll tell you a bottle that I love is a Codd.I know they're not worth much but there is just something about them.

A codd sold last year in the $12,000 range, don't discount them when it comes to value....

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Codd bottles I have all all from England,one has a lion on it and the other depicts King Neptune.These two are the most collectible I found out. Epackage why are Paterson ,New Jersey bottles so highly sought out by you,value?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Afterthought: The wholesale purpling (or ambering of selenium-decolorized glass) bottles is done with gamma rays from a machine for food sterilizing.

There appears to me to be a difference between UVB-colored glass and gamma ray-colored glass. The 'gamma glass' has distinct blue overtones, while the UVB glass has no blue.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The base of this bottle actually looked a little blue to me so who knows? I think I'm a little turned off now by colored glass though the violet jar Surf posted a picture of is mighty pretty.Epackage I do hope you find that Paterson one day as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread