Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hey ZDD,

What is the purple, waxy looking adhesion that is prominent on the neck of that mallet, and some of the other fresh from the depths items?

I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying your photos, sir! Wonderful time capsules, every one. How often do y'all get to plumb the Harbor bottom?

Consider me boggled, but no where near bored…

Halifax_explosion_-_Imo.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its like visiting a museum at no charge. I am amazed with the numerous finds and can only imagine the hours of diving these guys are putting in. This is great stuff. I shall dream well tonight

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Purple stuff is coraleen, or at least thats what we call it. It is a hard calcium marine growth which can be removed easley with a soak in white vinigare or muriatic acid. It will turn white if left on and can add a nice effect to your display so it is not allways removed.
We would like to get out every Sunday during the winter months but the weather does not allways cooperate. When we were younger (and less smart) we would go out in almost any weather. One time we were diving downtown off the piers but there was so much snow that we couldnèt park down there. We parked serveral blocks away, got all our gear on and walked down to the water like that. We got some real strange looks but we did get in the water that day.
There was a small documentary done of us by a student film maker. Its called Harbour Scrubbers and if you google that name you will get all the segments listed. There are 4 x 10 min. segments.

Your pic is of the IMO which was involved with the Mont Blanc in the Halifax Explosion. The largest man made explosion up untill the Nucs were built. Many thought the explosion left a huge carter on the sea floor but we have not seen any evidence of this and we have done exstensive diving in the area.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched Bob's 'Time in a Bottle' video. I experienced cognitive dissonance seeing him get into his dry-suit well before his dive!
Florida divers are sooo spoiled. A good dive day here in winter has the air temp around 15 degrees F warmer than the water temp (and the spring-fed rivers don't get all that cold). I couldn't imagine zipping up my dry-suit until I am ready to go overboard. My salute to you, ZDD, and your friend Bob for your endurance and your nice finds!
Thanks Harry, we did do a pilgrimage to Florida a few years back and piced up these babies. DSC01517.JPG
This was us yesterday with the air temp 37 degs colder then the 39 degs water.
DSCF1567.JPG we were toasting to the New Year.from some grog that came from these. DSCF1566.JPG
Happy New year,
ZDD

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD, just curious, how many anchors and propellers do you guys find and what are the approximate sizes of the largest

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD, just curious, how many anchors and propellers do you guys find and what are the approximate sizes of the largest

Well not too many actually. We have found them ranging from around 16in to 30 inchs. These are bronze and mostly off fishing boats, one of my freinds who is a commercial diver brought up a single blade from a large ship and sold it for just under $10K for scrap. A nice little piece of cash right there.
We do see anchors down there from time to time but not as many as you would find in a lake used by sport fishing boats. Most comercial boats have winches that haul up the hook so they don't get snagged up that much.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$10k for one blade- thats a lot of dough! Thanks.

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Let me try this again...
Fantastic collection and great post Dave. Puts my collection to shame for sure. Why do you think Halifax Harbor has such a concentration of bottles/collectables? I would love to get a suction dredge or even a jet nozzle up there. Imagine what you would uncover. Do you ever invite us foreigners from Maine up to dive with you? Keep me in mind, I've been itching for a road trip. Would love to come up and visit. Happy hunting and safe diving to you and your friends.
Wayne:hello:

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me try this again...
Fantastic collection and great post Dave. Puts my collection to shame for sure. Why do you think Halifax Harbor has such a concentration of bottles/collectables? I would love to get a suction dredge or even a jet nozzle up there. Imagine what you would uncover. Do you ever invite us foreigners from Maine up to dive with you? Keep me in mind, I've been itching for a road trip. Would love to come up and visit. Happy hunting and safe diving to you and your friends.
Wayne:hello:
Well Hello there SMD, I see your from South Berwick, what to ya know, I live in North Berwick. Yae we have no issues taking guests out with us at all. Only one thing I must tell you about the dives, these are relatively deep dives 75-90 ft., low vis and SOLO dives. we do solo dives because if you are too close to someone else you can loose what vis you do have, also there is some current there and it is easy to loose your buddy. We all use a pony back up bottle and drag a SMB with us so the top side tender can follow his diver.

As for Halifax being so good for bottles it is because we have a narrows which provides the current to keep the silt off, There are some great sites down by Portsmouth NH and Portland MN that I know are just full of early bottles and artifacts but for the most part they would be covered over in silt. We have found that where the large ships dock there is sufficent prop wash to keep the silt away and these sites have produced many fantastic finds.
Maybe I might make a road trip to Maine for alittle splash and to do some MDing this year or next. Perhaps I could get out with you down there in good old Maine. Maine and Nova Scotia's history are so closely related in fact Maine was part of NS in the colonial days that I am sure if you find a good spot you would be bringing up NS bottles from time to time.
Keep in touch and hopefully we can get a few dives in together.
ZDD

Bumpa66

Feb 4, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This all makes me want to start diving. There's sooo much I'm missing :)

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bumpa, I don't know how much diving is done in Kentucky but I am sure that there are lots of bottle dumps along the river banks in your state that are just waiting to be dug.

All the best in 2014,
ZDD

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Bumpa, I don't know how much diving is done in Kentucky but I am sure that there are lots of bottle dumps along the river banks in your state that are just waiting to be dug. All the best in 2014, ZDD

I've been been curious about what lies hidden on the banks of The Cumberland River myself. My sister is a scuba diver,I should dare her to find out,hee hee! Very impressed by all those beautiful and unique bottles .

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been been curious about what lies hidden on the banks of The Cumberland River myself. My sister is a scuba diver,I should dare her to find out,hee hee! Very impressed by all those beautiful and unique bottles .
imagine what lies beneath London Bridge

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Killer.

Why imagine, when you can have a long distance gander: Thames And Field

270810-037.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent link sir!

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a chance check out the Mud Men shows on you tube. I picked up the first two series on E bay. They were not expensive but you need a DVD machine that you can hack so it will play UK movies. (my computer will play them as well).
ZDD

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That's just insane!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread