Show me Your FAVORITE Bottle (Singular)

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I have a lot of bottles that I really like so I thought I would post this one that is a bottle that was modified for a different purpose.
SANY0368.jpg SANY0370.jpg
This is the surprise and I think they were trying to turn this barbers bottle into an oil lamp shade, but must of found out after they cut and ground it that it was to heavy for the wick adjuster to hold the weight. I can't think of any other reason to go thought the trouble of cutting it back in the early 1900's and then throwing it away. I think that is the reason that they didn't cut the top. I tried putting it on an old wick adjuster and it wouldn't hold the weight as it's 3 quarters of a pound.
SANY0371.jpg SANY0373.jpg
Wolverine.

Last edited:

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350. Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There from my home town the only ones I have seen around

image.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I'm like Wolverine . . . I have too many bottles to pick out just one favorite. But, I do like this one very much:
xeressealneck.jpg
winesealedtrio.jpg
Over a long period of time, the Arabic name for the local wine from the town (Jerez de la Frontera) in Cadiz was corrupted to Xeres to Jerez to Sherry.

This bottle was recovered in France, but the wine was exported widely. It is possible that this bottle was blown anywhere the wine was exported (in casks). The bottle has a combination of features that I can't associate with the well-known European bottle-making centers.

The bottle is free-blown, with a glass-tipped pontil scar. It is well made and stout -- just the sort of bottle to survive in the export trade . . . or as a decanter. I have yet to see another like it.

Last edited:

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I'm like Wolverine . . . I have too many bottles to pick out just one favorite. But, I do like this one very much:
Over a long period of time, the Arabic name for the local wine from the town (Jerez de la Frontera) in Cadiz was corrupted to Xeres to Jerez to Sherry.

This bottle was recovered in France, but the wine was exported widely. It is possible that this bottle was blown anywhere the wine was exported (in casks). The bottle has a combination of features that I can't associate with the well-known European bottle-making centers.

The bottle is free-blown, with a glass-tipped pontil scar. It is well made and stout -- just the sort of bottle to survive in the export trade . . . or as a decanter. I have yet to see another like it.

Great bottles and history Harry. I love the Spanish sherry, the color and shape are awesome. Around what year do you think it was made?
Wolverine.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
If it is Spanish-made, the bottle probably dates to the early 1800s. I don't find anything remotely comparable in Van den Bossche's book.

Cecil Munsey has an image of a 1790 Spanish wine-drinking bottle which has light-colored metal and a tapered lip that hints at this well-made lip.

Roger Dumbrell, in his UNDERSTANDING ANTIQUE WINE BOTTLES, figures a well-made tapered lip and calls it Spanish from 1800 (a time in which common French, Dutch and German wine bottles had sheared lips and string rims). That's the best clue I have.

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While not my prettiest nor most rare, this is one of my favorites. I found it about five years ago. There were several different spider web bottles made in the early 1900's both clear and amber. After a couple years of off and on research, comparing bottles, etc. I was fortunate enough to positively have this one identified despite the missing labels.
It was used to bottle medicinal 100 proof whiskey at the John B. Thompson Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky. This particular one was used in 1914, and bears the embossed message that it is non-refillable. I have seen the labels that it originally would have bore as well, that warn that any other use than that of a medicinal nature was punishable by law.

The photos here are not all that great, but the flask is embossed on all sides with spider webs, and a single spider on the front.

Attachments

• IMG_20140118_231748.jpg
    IMG_20140118_231748.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 89
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 91

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wig Wam Remedies

My favorite find.
Found another bottle the same day that is a lot rarer, but this one just feels good holding on to it.
Carl

Attachments

• WIGWAM#1.jpg
    WIGWAM#1.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 90

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
The far left one is a Revenna Glass works, travelers companion in a nice honey amber. I think we got 6 or 7 whole ones and several more with some lip damage. Although I think there were at least 30 broken ones in the pit. Must have been a heavy drinker! jgas

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bottles folks. Ive been coming to T-net for sometime and never knew there was a bottle collecting bunch (yeah i didnt scroll down far enough) haha. I will post my favorite ASAP.

B

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite bottle could be one of these, or maybe not, lol. As with my Indian artifacts, and metal detecting finds, it seems my favorites change weekly, and my favorite is usually the last one I found, or the next one I am going to find, and that is what keeps me interested and on the hunt.
a few sodas and beers.JPG

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My fav. Leather wrapped. Anyone have any info on these?

ForumRunner_20140122_171542.png

ForumRunner_20140122_171552.png

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Among my favorite bottles are the early, crude, often-misshapen, black glass bottles. Each of these three are free-blown, probably in Belgium or the Netherlands. Such bottles were sold to distillers and vintners, then exported around world to various European colonies.

blackglassprogression.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread