how do you find spot of privey

S

stefen

Look for possible location in the back yard...maybe a depression or green spot...

Then probe with a rod...

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also a lot of times they were along property lines or along the back of the property. The most for sure way to find one is look at a Sanborn map. These were insurance maps that had ever structure on the property and a lot of times included the privies. Personally I have a friend who lives in your area who has dug hundreds of privies, has all the tools and experience and might have the maps on hand. Nothing beats having a expert taking a look. I am sure he would be more then happy helping you with locating and digging. I can give you his contact info if your interested.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Inner city pits are normally easy to find. But you have to have a spring steel probe to start off with. A 5 footer should do just right. Feel for the inconsistencies in the layering of the soil. The pit will feel softer most likely, the layering will be the coal ash or wood ash they threw in to cover the smells. Edges of properties are a good start as well as by the alley if there is one. But don't forget the center of the yard straight back from the back door. Always have the utilities located prior to digging. You will hate the bill when you damage a gas line. Good Luck, let us know how ya turn out. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions