COUPLE OF COLORADO HUTCHES, AND BIG SILVER!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014 has started off slow, but it's finally kicking in. I went back to the site where I dug my first token of the year (my last post), with Field Mouse, who is still kicking my but token-wise. About 20 minutes into the hunt, this popped out. At first I thought it was a large aluminum token, from the 1940's. But when I felt the weight of it in my hand, I got excited. it's a 1922-D Peace dollar, and my first one of that type. I've been lucky to dig three Morgans, (one horribly corroded), but the Peace has alluded me for a good long time. After leaving that site, we drove around, hitting other areas with little luck. Stopping by a construction site, and while walking around the outside fence area, I spied a small pile of bottles, with one Hutch. It was manufactured in Colorado, (Colorado City Glass Co.), from 1889-1893. It has a letter "M" in a horseshoe shaped slug plate. I can't find any info on it. Any help would be appreciated! The other Hutch is a nice "Simmons and Hansen" Hutch, from the early 1890's. The small Scholtz medicine is common, as well as the A.L. Murdock, Liquid Food, but it's a nice 12 sided amber, so it's a keeper. Finally got the Hutch Monkey off my back, now I just gotta go back!

Attachments

• 1922 Peace#1.jpg
    1922 Peace#1.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 136
  • M#1.jpg
    M#1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Simmons&Hansen#1.jpg
    Simmons&Hansen#1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Scholtz.jpg
    Scholtz.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Copy of A.L. LIQUID FOOD.jpg
    Copy of A.L. LIQUID FOOD.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds I love the hutches I've never seen a tombstone slug plate embossing with just one letter. And the mug bottom hutch is really nice it looks like its got some whittling.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff, have you considered sending a pic of the M hutch to Ron Fowler at hutchbook.com, if not I'll be happy to contact him about it...

I see 6 bottlers of the time period who have last names beginning with M in Colorado.

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver dollar and the bottle finds. Those hutches are nice. Were these bottles on top of the ground? Hope you go back soon and please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, have you considered sending a pic of the M hutch to Ron Fowler at hutchbook.com, if not I'll be happy to contact him about it... I see 6 bottlers of the time period who have last names beginning with M in Colorado.

That's a excellent idea, thanks! I sat for about an hour going through Denver's Business Directories, and found nada.
Which 6 bottlers did you find?
This bottle is like a maverick token, part of the fun is trying to attribute it to a specific Colorado business.
My other posting's response led me to a site where I now know that this company exported sodas out of state,
so now I realize that the searching will take longer than I thought.
I do find it amusing that someone would pay to have a soda bottle labeled with just the letter "M".
Carl

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver dollar and the bottle finds. Those hutches are nice. Were these bottles on top of the ground? Hope you go back soon and please keep us posted Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
The mystery Hutch (M), was found where the construction workers had left a pile of bottles inside the fenced in area. Once inside the area, I found the Simmons and Hansen Hutch on a pile of dirt. The others were found just by digging test holes. Planned to go back this evening, but had dinner plans with a lady friend. Usually the digging would outweigh any such silliness, but she's such a sweetheart..., Carl

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Turns out there were 8 known possiblities that used hutches...

G.A. Montag - Buena Vista
Harvey Moulton - Cripple Creek
A.A. Marselis - Denver
H.G. Meumen - Denver
F.E. Merbitz - Durango
Robert Miller - Fort Collins
E. Mercier - Trinidad
Montrose Bottling Co - Unknown city/town

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out there were 8 known possiblities that used hutches... G.A. Montag - Buena Vista Harvey Moulton - Cripple Creek A.A. Marselis - Denver H.G. Meumen - Denver F.E. Merbitz - Durango Robert Miller - Fort Collins E. Mercier - Trinidad Montrose Bottling Co - Unknown city/town

Thanks! I'll see if I can drag up any old ads for those companies.
I'm hoping that with the distinctly different letter "M" on the bottle, it might be used elsewhere in the same fashion.
Carl

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl, Good start !!! Congrats on your hutch's and the silver dollar,we are hoping to get out soon. Cool hutch !! A new unlisted Colorado bottle ?

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl, Good start !!! Congrats on your hutch's and the silver dollar,we are hoping to get out soon. Cool hutch !! A new unlisted Colorado bottle ?
Glad to hear that you are doing well, hope to get out this weekend and find something, anything, somewhere!
My work schedule allows me only Sunday and Monday, everyone out here is hitting spots on Saturday.
I might have to start feeling a little poorly tomorrow, and call in sick!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread