yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been wanting to get up to the local old dumpsite- which was recently washed out after all that rain (it's next to a river). So I go up hoping all sorts of things will be laying around.

Nope. It did however cough up one little piece I almost didn't pick up- cause it looks like a wire fence insulator- or other farm-related porcelain. Turned out to be something called a Hutter stopper, and here's a site that talks all about them: Collecting Porcelain Beer Bottle Stoppers.

But interestingly, when I started google-searching, the first thing that came up- that caught my eye was a post from Surf (on Tnet), explaining what was in a pile of 'what is this' stuff to someone who had a lot of questions. Go figure. His legacy lives on! Here's a less-then-good pic of it. Never found one before. They made these things between 1890 and 1920 mostly to cap beer, and they still use them in Europe. And collectable, apparently. Thanks for looking! Yak

0507142208.jpg

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for sharing yakker that is neat

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find i always pick these up when i come across them. they look good on blob tops even if the bailing wire is gone. Is this the same hutter as K Hutter out of New york? i have a few blob tops and a hutch made by this bottle maker.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have many of these from Colorado,some I have sold for up to $60 , always happy to find one !! Congrats

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the site info, I've managed to only dig a few from out here in Denver, but love em!
Carl

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup- one in the same. Definitely easy to overlook in this land of farms and fences (and tiny little insulators). Thanks all- I'll be keeping my eyes open for more! Yak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions