tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased this beer bottle with a paper label for Telluride Beer from Telluride, Colorado. I'm not finding any reference to this particular brand of beer with this label. I can only guess by the mark on the bottom the glass had been produced by Obear-Nester Glass Co and the date range is from 1915 to 1978 for this glass company. My question is how old do any of you believe this bottle to be? My hunch is, it looks like a bottle from the 1950s to the 1960s ??, only because when my dad and my uncles got together to drink beer I'd walk around the circle of lawn chairs as a 6 or 7 year old and take a swig from time to time. They'd all laugh when it come blowing back out my nose. Some how I just loved that rush. This bottle looks so familiar to the ones I remember from those days. I purchased it because things related to towns like Telluride do sell well. I gave 10 bucks for it.

It measures 9-3/8" tall by 2-1/2" in diameter.

Attachments

• beer bottle 1.jpg
    beer bottle 1.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 90
  • beer bottle 2.jpg
    beer bottle 2.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 92
  • beer bottle 3.jpg
    beer bottle 3.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 93
  • beer bottle 4.jpg
    beer bottle 4.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! epackage. Wasn't sure that 27 dated the bottle. I'm not finding this label out there to compare. Could be the bottle is a bogus assembly of old bottle and retro produced label? I will say the bottle is just short of pristine condition for the age.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll find many bottles that old and older in great condition, label looks like the real deal too, could have been a label that was never applied that someone decided to put it on this bottle for display. I have many "New Old Stock" labels in my collection, the fact that the brewery was in business for a very short period makes not finding a similar label plausible...

Here's another, just like yours it's on a bottle that doesn't fit the time period, it sold on Ebay back in 2013...

Attachments

• zt3.jpg
    zt3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 81
  • zt4.jpg
    zt4.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is the possibility that since this brewery started right after prohibition ended (Dec. 1933) when the demand for bottles would have been extremely high that they used any bottle they could get their hands on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We may never know what a true bottle of Telluride beer looked like, being they only made it a year in business. Could be someone got a hold of some unused original labels and added them to the best period looking beer bottle they could find, thinking that be a way to enhance the value of the labels. I took a little gamble on it, as I will be putting it up on eBay to hopefully make a buck. I picked up a small antique sterling "Telluride" souvenir spoons once that would have a scrap value of 7 - 8 bucks, and it did sell for over a hundred. Telluride is now a town for the well to do and want to be seen type folks now. Not my cup of tea kind of place these days. Gone are those miners of the 1970's working in the Idarado Gold mine :( So I'm going with "original label on a vintage beer bottle" in the sale. I think I've got enough to make it an interesting item to some prospective bidders.....Thanks! for the help fella's

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
There is the possibility that since this brewery started right after prohibition ended (Dec. 1933) when the demand for bottles would have been extremely high that they used any bottle they could get their hands on.

Possible.... but when you see that one is a crowntop and the other a blob I'm inclined to think at least one of the labels was NOS added later by someone...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread