help identifying small pontiled bottle

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a long shot but can anyone help me identify this bottle. I dug a few of these small pontiled bases today and then one that actually had a little more of the bottle and now I'm curious to know what these are. All that is visible are the last 4 letters "rth's" and then an "E" or "F" from the word below. either way I think I'm in a good spot hopefully they aren't all broken ...super thin glass though.
image-7.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
today I found a bunch of green AM Bininger Co London Dock Gin pieces tops and bottoms as well as a bunch of those little pontiled guys. The dump has a ton of bottles but a low rate of survivors. They built a new road and I think when they did it pushed the dump outwards. Only dug for a couple hours today found some local pharmacist bottles, Moxies, common meds...all the best were shards of course

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know bottles... What kind of Pontils? Please post pics of the Pontils....

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately most dumps I come across are like this with no survivors. But I would give that spot another look the potential is high for a nice piece to come out. How old are the moxie bottles?

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open pontils here's a pic of the bottom. Everything seems to be 1880s-90s. The Moxie nerve foods are blown crown tops.

Attachments

• image-1205934880.jpg
    image-1205934880.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3094551527.jpg
    image-3094551527.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They stopped making open pontil bottles in the mid 1860's... they went to a snap case mold so no more pontil marks after this time period...

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They stopped making open pontil bottles in the mid 1860's... they went to a snap case mold so no more pontil marks after this time period...

I am fully aware of that but that doesn't answer my question

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohhh I see what you were saying I meant that everything besides the few POntiled bottles are 1880s-1890s era

t_web610

Greenie
Jul 21, 2014
NY
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey JOliver80. Sodabottlebob started a thread "EARLIEST KNOWN CROWN CLOSURE SODA BOTTLE" that you may find interesting. It will help you put a date on the Moxie bottle. Hope this helps. cool looking bottle!

valleyglen

Dec 21, 2012
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any bottle before 1860 would have some type of pontil, snap cased smooth bases are 1865 and after.
The three types of pontiled bases are open, iron, and sand chip. Sometimes an old smooth
base will actually be a sand chip pontil that was left in the annealing process too long.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
My, My! So much information, and so mis-leading. The annealing process for glass is simply slow cooling -- how can that affect the pontil scar? There are lot of bottles without a pontil scar made before 1860 -- who can tell Glen about some of those bottles?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread