J.C. Bogue Coca Cola Sherman TX, broken but re-utilized...also a tiny poison

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent last Saturday walking a neaby river.

Found a neck sheer'ed Coca Cola Bottle (JC Bogue) instead of trashing it I cut the frature off and turned it into a juice glass - your thoughts? Think I would like to do more of this with the large "heart breakers"

Also found a tiny 3 sided triangular bottle - I think a poison bottle, but it is not as elaborate as the others I see on the internet. Anyone else find these little guys? My guess is pharmaceutical??

Anyone in DFW / north Texas need a bottle collecting pal or know of a bottle hunting club?

I'm honest, pay my way, will dig/claw/swim and scratch; usually handy with a map (military training). I'm not a horrible person to be around - most people say. I'm a member of the local fossil club, but dang if I don't like these bottles and their history.

Thanks for looking and especially any replies. Lets go huntin' - I'll drive.

:thumbsup:

-Thomas

Attachments

• poison.jpg
    poison.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 200
  • bottle cut.jpg
    bottle cut.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 198

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lamplighter, very nice work on the coca cola bottle. And yes, it would have been a nice one. Elaborate please on how you made the cut so that others will know. There are many bottles out there with broken tops that get left behind but could make great drinking glasses if people would take the time to salvage them. I had a 1925 Christmas coke I had cut down to a drinking glass but slippery hands let it hit the floor one day. I am always on the lookout for more. Thanks for stopping by and don't be a stranger to these parts. Hopefully someone from your area will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
lamplighter36

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Bass,

Well, cutting and sanding this bottle was amazingly easy. I have a fairly cheap wet saw I bought to redo the backsplash in my kitchen. For those who don't know a wet saw - it is a table-saw of sorts that utilizes special blades for cutting tile, glass and the like. It has a reservoir to hold water which wets the blade as it spins. To cut glass cleanly you need a fancy glass blade (a tile blade will cut glass, but chip it to high heaven).

I would not recommend using the string, nail polish remover, fire and ice water method for cutting bottle tops, as seen on you tube. Apart from being a fun experiment – and yes it does work – it is not an accurate way to make a usable cut. Also, your wife might not appreciate you using up all her polish remover and almost setting fire to the garage. For professional cuts stick to a mid-range wet saw and good glass blade

So – I gave the broken bottle a bleach batch overnight and cleaned out the much and algae as best I could without cutting myself on the sharp fracture. Then I decided to mark off the line of amputation with blue tape.

I watered up the wet saw and set the guide bar to the desired width from the blade (you will hold the butt of the bottle against the guide bar to keep the blade cutting right along the edge of the tape…I don’t even think you need the tape really.) Then put on safety glasses – a must! To fit the bottle under the blade cover you have to lift the cover to a 45 degree angle and expose more of the blade than you would if cutting flat tile. You will get a shower of tiny bits of glass and glass dust.
Holding the bottle firmly against the guide bar, I slowly and firmly twisted the bottle onto the blade. (It’s cutting away and slinging water and glass dust – all normal things when using a wet saw.) After twisting 360 degrees the broken top was off and I had a clean break.
Next, I rinsed it off (trashed the neck piece) and dried the bottle completely – careful the ridge is VERY SHARP at this point.
I have a small belt sander which I will attach a pic of, and used this to carefully sand down the sharp edges. I used light to moderate pressure on all rough/sharp parts on the outer, inner and top edges of the bottle (now cup). I tried to round the edges as best I could. Essentially, I tried to make it look like a regular drinking glass top edge.
Once I got to where I wasn’t making any noticeable progress of smoothness – I abandoned the belt sander and went to a hand held sanding sponge with fine grit.
I spent probably 5 minutes sanding, so it wasn’t a laborious process. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing more – also fun to think that this 1915 bottle is being used again. Much better than infesting the bottom of a river!

Happy hunting.

Attachments

• wet saw 1.jpg
    wet saw 1.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 111
  • belt sander.jpg
    belt sander.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 110

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. That's a really neat idea. I think I found a use for my wet saw that been collecting dust for the past couple years.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent information. I think your glass may be worth more than the broken bottle. I too will be replacing the carpet in my den with ceramic or porcelain tile in 3 weeks. This will give me the need for s wet saw which i can use for glass as well. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread