Need advice on bootle found on seabed...

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an intact handmade bottle on the seabed http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/429311-seabed-finds-scuba.html

and wanted to know;

Would it have been corked? (the ridges around the top confuse me?) it seems to have cork remains in?

Approx age?

Most importantly, it has a number of hairline cracks, how can I preserve / stop it coming apart?

thanks so much!

View attachment 1041307
View attachment 1041308
View attachment 1041306
View attachment 1041309
View attachment 1041305

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A big thing is to not allow hot water to touch bottle. The old rule,hot dry glass breaks will prove itself on non tempered glass.
I lack knowledge on your bottle but here goes. A magnum champagne bottle holds lots of pressure not unlike a car tire. If you check the bottoms they are similar in design those magnums. Not saying that is what your bottle is. Regarding the ring on top. Imagine a several inch piece of strong string with a loop tied a couple inches long. Now spread tag ends and butt loops knot against bottle top on one side keeping knot to outside. With cork inserted prior tie tag ends to opposite side(around away from knot then tie) then run tag ends through loop and draw loop over cork and tie again. I think that's right. Some wines were made sparkling by adding a little sugar at bottling and some perhaps with a bit of yeast depending how long they sat in secondary fermentation or if racked repeatedly,but the end result was a brief fermentation in bottle creating the sparkle but also cork popping pressure. My basement will testify. Fermented out brews and those not primed at bottling time not as much an issue and weaker bottles can be used but securing corks down an insurance.. Neat finds. B.V.I. Hunter.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for that!!

I had not considered a "tied" cork scenario!

thanks!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Would make a versatile bottle. Rum especially but volume could cover lots of stuff.. If hand blown a pontil scar often on bottom . If blown into a mold partial or complete a fine seam of sorts shows where mold fit together. Some the neck was outside the mold and free styled so to speak so neck on those would have no seams then.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would make a versatile bottle. Rum especially but volume could cover lots of stuff.. If hand blown a pontil scar often on bottom . If blown into a mold partial or complete a fine seam of sorts shows where mold fit together. Some the neck was outside the mold and free styled so to speak so neck on those would have no seams then.

Thanks!

will inspect it shortly!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bottle is considered what is called black glass it has an applied top and did use a cork . I can't tell if it has an open pontil or an iron pontil . Your bottle is much older than I find around here . Someone will chime in with more info for you. Congrats !!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your bottle is considered what is called black glass it has an applied top and did use a cork . I can't tell if it has an open pontil or an iron pontil . Your bottle is much older than I find around here . Someone will chime in with more info for you. Congrats !!!

thanks!

your answer led me to a great site;

Pontil Scars

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful recovery and it looks to be quite early its very crude. One if the gurus I'm sure will chime in.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BVI Hunter, I posted on the Todays Finds forum about your bottle. It is from the late 1700s and up into the early 1800s, as bottles were hard to come by back in the day they were usually reused untill they were broken or lost, so your wreck site could post date the bottle but I am sure your wreck is an early 1800s wreck.
I give my bottles a soke in white vinigar to kill any thing growing that might cause a stink and to remove coral growth. A soft scrub with scotch brite and let it dry. if the insides need a cleaning then I take a small piece of scotch brite and a wire coat hunger that has been straightned and a small hook bent in the end to hold the scotch brite pad.
Your cork will eventually dry out and srink so you can remove it and display it with your bottle.

Beautifull bottle, congrats.
ZDD

Here is a link to a post with just some of the bottles me and my diving buddies have found over the years.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/bottles-glass/393779-our-crazy-collections.html

Good luck hunting,
ZDD

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey BVI Hunter, I posted on the Todays Finds forum about your bottle. It is from the late 1700s and up into the early 1800s, as bottles were hard to come by back in the day they were usually reused untill they were broken or lost, so your wreck site could post date the bottle but I am sure your wreck is an early 1800s wreck.
I give my bottles a soke in white vinigar to kill any thing growing that might cause a stink and to remove coral growth. A soft scrub with scotch brite and let it dry. if the insides need a cleaning then I take a small piece of scotch brite and a wire coat hunger that has been straightned and a small hook bent in the end to hold the scotch brite pad.
Your cork will eventually dry out and srink so you can remove it and display it with your bottle.

Beautifull bottle, congrats.
ZDD

Here is a link to a post with just some of the bottles me and my diving buddies have found over the years.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/bottles-glass/393779-our-crazy-collections.html

Good luck hunting,
ZDD

thanks for both posts Dave!!
great advice thanks!

I got a long way to go to match that collection!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be a Squat bottle... black glass.... held wine... english 1780-1810...
Height should be less than 10 inches.... width less than 4 inches.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appears to be a Squat bottle... black glass.... held wine... english 1780-1810...
Height should be less than 10 inches.... width less than 4 inches.

its 9" tall and 3 3/4" wide!

thanks!!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find BVI. Congratulations. Go back, there's probably more goodies waiting. Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hairline cracks? Hmmm. Usually, these bottles, if cracked, are in pieces when you find 'em. Lucky find.

If I saw that there is a chance the cracks would travel and threaten the integrity of the bottle, I might dissolve a tube of DUCO CEMENT (the plastic model glue variety) in 4 or 5 ounces of acetone.

I would pour the solution into the bottle using a funnel to avoid any spillage.

I would cork the bottle and swirl the solution inside the bottle.

I would pour off the glue solution and set the bottle aside, uncorked, until the acetone is completely boiled off (outside or in a well-ventilated area).

I would be careful in dealing with the acetone . . . read the cautions on the can.

When the acetone is gone, you will have a transparent plastic lining of the bottle that will preserve the integrity of the shape, even if the cracks travel.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hairline cracks? Hmmm. Usually, these bottles, if cracked, are in pieces when you find 'em. Lucky find.

If I saw that there is a chance the cracks would travel and threaten the integrity of the bottle, I might dissolve a tube of DUCO CEMENT (the plastic model glue variety) in 4 or 5 ounces of acetone.

I would pour the solution into the bottle using a funnel to avoid any spillage.

I would cork the bottle and swirl the solution inside the bottle.

I would pour off the glue solution and set the bottle aside, uncorked, until the acetone is completely boiled off (outside or in a well-ventilated area).

I would be careful in dealing with the acetone . . . read the cautions on the can.

When the acetone is gone, you will have a transparent plastic lining of the bottle that will preserve the integrity of the shape, even if the cracks travel.

Thanks!

The cracks are such that if I submerge it in water bubbles come out of the cracks - it's THAT delicate!
So swirling around is not an option?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks!

The cracks are such that if I submerge it in water bubbles come out of the cracks - it's THAT delicate!
So swirling around is not an option?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Apply vinyl adhesive tape to the leaky cracks and proceed as above. The acetone-cement solution needs to be inside the bottle for seconds, not minutes.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apply vinyl adhesive tape to the leaky cracks and proceed as above. The acetone-cement solution needs to be inside the bottle for seconds, not minutes.

Thanks!

will attempt this after the weekend! :thumbsup:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caution on what type tape you use as well. I'm not familiar with vinyl adhesive tape that Harry mentioned, but if it's anything like the vinyl film that I use for lettering signs, then it's some sticky stuff! If the bottle is that delicate, a high-tack tape may well pull the bottle apart upon removal. Whatever you use, be sure to remove the tape by pulling it back over flat on itself, as opposed to pulling it away from the bottle. Might try something like the blue painter's masking tape. Hope this helps and best of luck in preserving your find.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be the size (generally) of a squat bottle... 90% chance or higher that it held wine.
I originally stated 1780.... but excuse me on that...after thinking and a quick check.... squats have dated as early as the 1760's through 1810's..... well I was right on the later date :)
Hope this helps.... Found a few of these in my years and a TON of necks.... actually went to check on one I found in England .... at the bottom of sloping back yard of a medium sized castle outside of leeds. Was imbedded in bottom of very small stream... could just barely see the side top of neck.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Caution on what type tape you use as well. I'm not familiar with vinyl adhesive tape that Harry mentioned, but if it's anything like the vinyl film that I use for lettering signs, then it's some sticky stuff! If the bottle is that delicate, a high-tack tape may well pull the bottle apart upon removal. Whatever you use, be sure to remove the tape by pulling it back over flat on itself, as opposed to pulling it away from the bottle. Might try something like the blue painter's masking tape. Hope this helps and best of luck in preserving your find.

thanks!!

or food saron type wrap maybe??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread