Telegraph glass resistors

Mtn Man

Aug 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I had to join to see if I could find someone who collects or knows something about glass resistors.
I have found a telegraph line that from the couple of mile section I've seen almost every pole has one on it still. The line follows a old wagon trail that goes up to a pass and is over 20 miles. I am not the kind to cut down any history and some poles are tall.
First I'm looking for some thoughts on getting up to the glass without having to spend a lot of time at each one. It's thick woods and a good hike so I'm not looking at carrying a ladder with me.
Second. Would you risk bears cougars (the cat type :) and heights to get these. There could be a good amount of them.
So far I've seen white light blue and a dark blue or purple one.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking from experience , tree spikes work GREAT !!!!! as far as I know the only difference between pole spikes and tree spikes is the length of the spike, I have tree spikes I found at the flea market for $5 They have helped me climb many a pole and tree to recover many insulators. If you have a Cobalt blue insulator on a pole or in a tree Congrats !!!!!!!! it is a prize !! I would have climbed the pole without any spikes 8-) Good Luck on your line

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy I knew back in the 80s had a pole vaulting pole with a large wood dowel stuck in the end with a rubber chair leg tip on the end. He'd stand under the telegraph pole and spin the insulators off, give them an upward nudge, let go of the pole and catch the insulator. Hope this helps. Removes the risk of a rotten pole falling. Of course, this won't work on those still wired, or sky-high poles. Can't remember if he ever wore a hardhat. :BangHead: :tongue3:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on what they look like...I have 3 boxes of them I found in the woods one day, but found out, even thou they are old, they are only a few bucks a piece

mrmozambique13

Sep 10, 2014
Riverside,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites XL Pro with Black Max 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What City and State did you find them? Are you sure there telegraph? Do they look like any of these?

Throw me a bone here! insulators.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread