Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking the Connecticut river today looking for bottles since the water is pretty low. When I saw a bottle neck sticking out of the mud and to my surprise it was whole. This is my first iron pontil bottle and this thing is crude whittled and small. I just don't exactly know what kind of bottle it is. Is it a soda or mineral water? Thanks in advance for the help- Justin

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-2125077005.jpg
    image-2125077005.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2582284739.jpg
    image-2582284739.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1707775162.jpg
    image-1707775162.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 98

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!! I'm not so knowledgable on forms but I'm sure someone can tell you. Yeah I've seen people online (Bill Ladd) find some cool stuff in the Connecticut River.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe bottles10 got it. That is a great find Justin. There may even be more there. Congratulations on a great find.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for the help. i was thinking it was a mineral water because the finish of the top. would this bottle date to the 1850s? just curious. Im planning on going back tommorow but im bringing my fishing waders with me that mud is nasty stuff and smells like death. Its a very old area so im sure theres more old stuff there.Bottlehunterofcosco ive seen Bill Ladds videos he finds some really nice stuff.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that would make anybody's day! Beautiful example.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RelicDude, now you're bottle hunting my style. A good portion of bottles I found were in low tide mud and I was using waders. You will get filthy and smelly but it's worth it.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RelicDude, now you're bottle hunting my style. A good portion of bottles I found were in low tide mud and I was using waders. You will get filthy and smelly but it's worth it.

Hunting on the Connecticut river is a lot different then the rivers in litchfield county it's nice and muddy unlike the rocky fast moving rivers in my neck if the woods. And thanks everyone.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Justin on finding some more. I have no problem dating your bottle to the 1850-60's

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That style of iron pontiled bottle would have contained a beer. They are referred to as "porters", but could have also contained a stout, an ale, or a more obscure 1840's-50' era fermented craft beer. They are generically in the pontiled "soda or mineral water" category, but with the straight up sides and strong shoulders, are known to have contained an alcohol beverage. Lager beers were just beginning to become introduced and popular in the US in the 1840's and 50's, but were not widely bottled until after the Civil War. Nice find you have there, it looks very "whittled", and still has a good amount of residue remaining from the pontil ball. HH
PS. That form, color, and lip looks like the style produced in southern New Jersey.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That style of iron pontiled bottle would have contained a beer. They are referred to as "porters", but could have also contained a stout, an ale, or a more obscure 1840's-50' era fermented craft beer. They are generically in the pontiled "soda or mineral water" category, but with the straight up sides and strong shoulders, are known to have contained an alcohol beverage. Lager beers were just beginning to become introduced and popular in the US in the 1840's and 50's, but were not widely bottled until after the Civil War. Nice find you have there, it looks very "whittled", and still has a good amount of residue remaining from the pontil ball. HH
PS. That form, color, and lip looks like the style produced in southern New Jersey.

Very interesting I never would of thought it was a beer bottle. Is there anyway to find out which glass house in New Jersey it could be attributed to? I'm not familiar with New Jersey glass I just know my New England glass houses. Thank you very much for the info. I ended up searching the area pretty well today but pretty much was a waste of gas. But I'm not done with that river yet. I think the bottle might have been thrown off a boat way back when.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
No way to tell for sure the glasshouse, just speculation based upon the prevalence of embossed porter bottles of that age and style being from that general area. There is a Bridgeton, NJ embossed pontiled porter bottle in that color and with the same style collared lip, but no way to tell for sure where yours was made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions