Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this canning jar last night in an early 20th century pit . I hit a spot where someone had thrown out their old canning jars . I have never even dug a glass cover of this style until last night :icon_scratch: I got one specimen out whole with the lid still sealed to the Jar . I got two other covers of this style but only the one whole jar . It is clear and is quite thick . Reminding me of pyrex glass . The only embossing on the cover is small . It just says ( PATENTED ) R With just a capital R under the PATENTED , The bottom of the jar just has a number ( 5 ) embossed on it . Any canning jar gurus out there ? I cannot find this one just googling it ! Thanks for looking and happy treasure hunting to all ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_4486-001.JPG
    IMG_4486-001.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4490-001.JPG
    IMG_4490-001.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 109

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a medical jar (of the type I've seen cotton balls and tongue depressors in, in a 1940's vintage doctor's office).

Would of course have had a wire clamp.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool jar it's amazing it survived with the lid. That one would look good full of marbles.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also don't think it is a canning jar. But it is awesome with the lid. Congratulations.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me of a gauze jar they are usually amber but the wire bail has me thinking medicinal

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also don't think it is a canning jar. But it is awesome with the lid. Congratulations.
. Considering the context of everything else I was digging from this pit . 9 lighting type aqua caps . Two more of the rooster comb style caps mixed right in with the other caps. Broken mason jars and a few whole jelly jars ! I am still leaning towards this being a canning jar . Or perhaps these were repurposed as a canning jar . You would think someone else has seen this type of jar before ! Thanks. MaineRelic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 105

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread