Tiny 1 1/2 Inch Long Bottle Found at an 1800s Farm Dump

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Tiny 1 1/2 Inch Long Bottle Found at an 1800's Farm Dump

Any information about the bottle or the "tools" would be great. I especially want to know how old the bottle is because I think a bottle that small should have screw top not a cork hole. ( If screw top was developed at the time.) Please tell me this information thank you!!!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to be a 1920-30's pill bottle, tough to tell by looking at it on a video

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
O that is very neat why did it not be screw top if it was made at that time period?

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Some bottles didn't get screw tops until later, they still make and sell cork top bottles today

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
So you think it is a pill holder what are other possibilities there are not a lot of uses for a bottle that small.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be perfume or a vintage trap scent or even medicine.

I'm not familiar with Nitrostat coming in Clear glass .
a lot of possibilities though

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah I think it is a pill holder what do u guys think?

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
It kind of resembles bottles used to hold veterinary vaccines. If that is what it is at one time it would have had a crimped metal lid. Im no bottle expert just passing along what it resembles to me.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some reason I can't see image... Yak

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little med. I've found a ton of them over the years. You might poke around a website-- 'Digger Dave's' to put a little perspective on the things you find- bottle-wise. The internet is a useful tool-- you can learn just about anything just by entering a key word or phrase. And I agree w/ epackage . Still pics are Much more effective in id-ing things. I was about 4 minutes into the video before I saw glass... so...
good luck. With a little research, you may have a better grip on what you're after- or what you should be after by spring thaw. Yakker

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kind of resembles bottles used to hold veterinary vaccines. If that is what it is at one time it would have had a crimped metal lid. Im no bottle expert just passing along what it resembles to me.

That's what I was thinking... small med bottle with crimped metal lid... still made like that today.
I found a really cute, but modern mini bottle that had a cork and looked like old style.
Came from a liquor store. I peeled the label off and kept the bottle. It is 4.25 inches tall
bottle 001.JPG bottle 002.JPG

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I found it at a site with bottles that are over 100 years old. I do not think it would be a modern bottle.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Jolteon

This link is to a 1906 Illinois Glass Company catalog. Scroll to the very bottom and click on the "Machine Made Items" pages. Your small bottle looks like a vile. If it has a number/letter/symbol on the base it could be a makers mark or possibly a mold/style number. If it only has a number, it might match one of the mold numbers in the catalog.

Illinois Glass Co. 1906 Catalog

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread