umbrella ink

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
this is the 5th ink I have found washed up or perhaps uncovered at my beach site, and it is the second umbrella. I have even found an old wooden ink blotter there too. It always amazes me how I can walk the same spot every few days and something new will reveal itself in places i KNOW FOR A FACT were not there (or visible anyway) the day or week before.

so what is the time frame of this ink?...color is aqua blue, has a very sharp pontil scar and is pretty ordinary in all respects.

Attachments

• DSC06683.JPG
    DSC06683.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC06684.JPG
    DSC06684.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 90

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
rolled lip and open pontil lead me to that assumption...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice ink uncle mac!

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
That makes it my oldest bottle found at this site. It also coincides with the first date range of white settlement for the location. Now I am assuming that these bottles were kept and filled over and over?...does that seem reasonable?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really a nice find! Have you run a metal detector in the area(s) where these bottles are turning up? Might be worth a try. Good luck.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
too much debris from old cars and trash etc. metal rust nightmare

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes it my oldest bottle found at this site. It also coincides with the first date range of white settlement for the location. Now I am assuming that these bottles were kept and filled over and over?...does that seem reasonable?

It could have been used over and over if they were buying the larger master ink bottles. Most cases they were used once and disposed of

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great little ink! I've never found anything but much, much newer, round umbrella inks...and even more of the screw-tops (sigh). And I miss being in a tidal area, where the whole game changes twice daily-- in fact, I found a paleo point just as a lap of water was about to cover it again- nearly missed it! Totally unlike fields or inland bodies of water or 1-way rivers where you have to wait for some monumental weather issue to change the playing field. Happy Hunting! Yakker

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
That's a great little ink! I've never found anything but much, much newer, round umbrella inks...and even more of the screw-tops (sigh). And I miss being in a tidal area, where the whole game changes twice daily-- in fact, I found a paleo point just as a lap of water was about to cover it again- nearly missed it! Totally unlike fields or inland bodies of water or 1-way rivers where you have to wait for some monumental weather issue to change the playing field. Happy Hunting! Yakker

yes it does change twice daily. I can't tell you how many times I have found something the next day in a spot know KNOW for SURE that I had thoroughly checked the day before. This ink is a great example, It was in-bedded in the clay sticking up half out as clear as day. Now you might think it was planted there since it was in a pretty high traffic area (for this spot that means 2 or 3 people passed it most every day) but this is not the case. When you stick something in the clay here, it leaves an impression sure enough, but if something has been in the clay for decades...it leaves a shiny almost glass like impression. When I pulled it out it had that same glass like look....and then to top it off...I also found one of these trade beads (the 4th like it I have found here), which also date pretty early (1840's)...right next to the ink! (the blue type bead that is)

Attachments

• DSC01458.JPG
    DSC01458.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
It could have been used over and over if they were buying the larger master ink bottles. Most cases they were used once and disposed of

i suppose you are right...I am just trying to put an older bottle in context with 1860-1880. The first white settlers came in 1853 and they say the beach front got pretty crowed by 1875.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool beads, Uncle! Good luck on your next beach hunt! You might find a Buick! ;) Yak

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
no Yakker.....a 1940 Pontiac!

Attachments

• DSC01796.JPG
    DSC01796.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 70

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is the 5th ink I have found washed up or perhaps uncovered at my beach site, and it is the second umbrella. I have even found an old wooden ink blotter there too. It always amazes me how I can walk the same spot every few days and something new will reveal itself in places i KNOW FOR A FACT were not there (or visible anyway) the day or week before.

so what is the time frame of this ink?...color is aqua blue, has a very sharp pontil scar and is pretty ordinary in all respects.

1840 thru 1865... they stopped having open Pontil marks in approx the mid 1860's... they started rolling the lip in approx 1840... so definitely in this period. Most likely 1850 - 1865...
Great find!
Gary from Oregon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions