This bottle find is a real pig ... need help IDing.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This bottle find is a real pig ... need help ID'ing.

Having hunted bottles since the mid-1960s, I thought I pretty much knew all bottles on sight. This piggly find threw me. I know of pig bottles but does anyone have any insights into this suspected-ancient stoneware specimen? It gets tougher for me because I dig in Southern NJ, which has a slew of bottle and stoneware manufactures dating back hundreds of years, meaning this could be some end-of-day, after-hours work done in towns like nearby Millville.

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 5900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anna Pottery pigs are the most prolific and desirable pig bottles. The majority have maps depicted on them. Those can fetch thousands. There are some serious pottery and glass pig collectors out there, so if you are selling, don't take the first offer. Definitely take time to do some research. I am not saying your's is worth thousands, but it could be. I believe Jim Hagenbush is a serious pig collector and may could give you some insight as to what you have found. I cringed watching you clean that pig up the way you did praying that it didn't hit a rock or something. This could possibly be the best thing / bottle you ever dig or dug so please treat it that way. RC

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying to find something like it, but failed. However, there's a Tennessee pottery write-up-- VERY long, which may offer clues. Here's the site- and the pig is on page 370.

https://www.tn.gov/environment/docs/arch_rs18_tn_potteries_2011.pdf

Not spotted, but something about the eyes seemed similar. Is it a bank? or a bottle. I ask because of the cork-butt. But I couldn't tell if there was a slot in the top. I'll keep looking for N.J. potteries. Something might come up.

Good luck-- and HH! Yakker
p.s. Found this (a whole page of google images... sorry)--
https://www.google.com/search?q=19t...ottle-Midwestern-late-19th-century%2F;600;393

Anna pottery is a little more rounded- softer edges, but this has similar features, but again, not speckled. How about a cleaned-up picture? ;)

Last edited:

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad for the misspelling. James or Jim Hagenbuch. He founded the Glassworks bottle auction. He has one of the finest pottery pig collections and is the one to ask about it. RC

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
First one I've seen where the front legs are extended and lifting the pig off the surface, I hope it's something super rare for you...

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been studying pottery for 30 year , and that is the first pig bottle I've seen that looks like that . one of a kind!

OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, you guys rock. Got me going in the right direction. Recently showed my pig to an avid collector and he offered a pretty penny -- sight uncleaned, to to speak. Got home and he had upped the offer, via phone message. Expectedly, he's begging me not to do more than remove surface dirt. I've actually been decades in the archaeological excavating business -- though more on the actual digging side -- so I know when to NOT push the cleaning envelope. Like many/most of you, I'm not in it for the money -- at least not until I get to look at a find to my heart's content. Once my heart is contented, then I ponder a sale. Thanx again for insights. I'll keep this forum posted on any further insight I gained.

Attachments

• 1wmilka.jpg
    1wmilka.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 81

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please send some pictures of it to Mr. Hagenbuch at Glass Works. I am very curious as to what he says about it. A pig in Glass Works #94 back in March of 2012 sold for $20,000+. RC

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw the picture, I thought I was seriously looking at a dead baby pig. lol I personally think something like this should deserve a banner vote, imho. RC

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's what we're all hoping it is, I'm in. Just have to get a little more info, I suspect. Yak

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT A GREAT FIND! GOOD FOR YOU! I WAS ALSO CRINGING WHEN YOU WERE HOLDING IT BY THE TAIL AND WASHING IT.....I'D WRAP THAT THING UP IN ALL THE BLANKETS I HAD UNTIL FURTHER PURSUING ANYTHING WITH IT! THANKS FOR SHARING.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure would gently clean and take care of that. I agree some cleaned up pictures might help the more knowledgable than me members give you an identification. Very nice pig!

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't be afraid to clean it . it looks like salt glazed stoneware.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread