sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like I've seen pictures of items similar to this before, but don't remember where. I found it in a thrift/junk/antique place for 6 bucks, so I took a chance, especially since they had it laying in a glass dish just waiting to be broken. The ribbed melon part is blown, four-mold with a tooled rim. The lid is pressed in matching color. The hardware, for the most part, looks original. Overall height with chains hanging: 18.5". Melon, with brass fitting: 5" d. x 7.25 h. Lid: 3.875" d. There's a slight whittle to the blown part, with an occasional bubble, and a couple of small potstones. The fitting on the lid would allow a wire to pass through, but the one on the melon looks like a petcock for draining, along with more corrosion than the other brass parts. Let me know if you needs more pictures or close-ups of any part. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer.

globe.JPG

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so...you think the melon was filled with a liquid?

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I don't know. The few pictures that I've seen online of both new and old suggest that it's a light (apothecary as Harry mentioned). Maybe the finial on the bottom was replaced at one time. I do appreciate y'all's input.

apothlight.jpg
apothlight1.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions