Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"H" bottle

This partial bottle was given to us by the guy that sold us the bottle cleaning machine but he had no idea what type of bottle it was. Simply says Nashville H Tenn and then on the bottom it says This Bottle Not To Be Sold. It's a pretty thick glass,the neck is broken off but it looks like the seam went all the way up. Any guesses? The string around it is where we tried to break it by pouring lighter fluid on it. Didn't work.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420077912.915438.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking it's likely a Heck's Cola bottle. Just a guess.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. Wish there was some way to repurpose it,nice little bottle.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can cut the bottle off to use as a drinking glass which I suppose is what you were attempting to do.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking more of a pencil holder for my desk. Let me ask y'all something. I'm wondering if the old embossed thick glass bottles were harder glass than the thinner more modern ones if that makes sense.Trying to figure out which compound to use on my first test bottle which may be a strap side clear applied top bottle my husband found before I try and clean up a pretty aqua blob I bought cheap at the Nashville Civil War show two years back.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the bottle is riddled with nicks and flea bites, it would take about 3 stages of polishing from heavy to light compound. If it's just a haze in the bottle you'll want to polish it lightly. JMO

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brown glass is soft glass, thick or thin.
Thank you Gleaner,that info is most helpful. Got a pretty Aqua blob going in the machine now,cross your fingers!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Gleaner,that info is most helpful. Got a pretty Aqua blob going in the machine now,cross your fingers!

CoilyGirl often the browns are too soft to polish, they wont easily take a good shine without special tactics. I am envious of you for getting into polishing, I've been mulling over building a machine for years, I'm still looking for parts but I have most of what I need. The tubes and stopples are a whole other story, I have not started them. Can you show us pics of your machine?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gleaner I'll try and post a picture but I haven't had much luck lately posting pictures here.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The results are better than I expected! Before on the left and after on the right. The before picture doesn't even show how cruddy the bottle really was. I think if anyone is mechanically inclined they would have no trouble building a machine like the one we bought.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420567756.933548.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you figure out what's giving you fits downloading photos, shoot as some pictures of it please

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Will do tomorrow Bass. I can post pics from the app but not directly to Treasurenet. It's seriously like 10 degrees here or I'd get off my duff and go snap a shot.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I saw it was getting pretty cold up your way

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here goes,posting through Safari seems to work better. Looks like he just took a piece of inexpensive paneling , nailed 2x4's down and attached the motor,steel to hold the PVC pipe that you insert the bottles in. The rest of the stuff he got from The Jar Doctor which includes the copper pellets and three different powders for cleaning. We used aluminum oxide which he said he uses the most of.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 rollers that the plastic pipe container rests on, do they contain alemites? (fittings to insert grease for lubrication). Thanks for the pictures. Also, do you know the size and rpm's of your electric motor? Just gathering info in case I get the urge to build one.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry again, I was able to enlarge your photos and see a little better. The 2 steel brackets fastened to the table that supports the rollers, do they have alemites? I'm betting they do. That would greatly increase the life span of your polisher.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes Bass they do have alemites.My husband put a few drops of oil in all the alemites before we began. The machine is sitting on four Home Depot paint buckets. The rpm is 1/4.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on the motor and tell me what size/rating is listed on it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread