Uncovered this while cleaning it up.....Need Help on how to fully clean...

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently was cleaning this stoneware jug I found in the summer...and upon cleaning it started to reveal some cobalt blue artwork...looks like a flower.......the rust and sediment is really hard to get off...I am wondering if anyone can direct me in the right direction on how to clean this without taking off the paint. GEDC2210.JPG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking jug! Good luck on the restoration project.

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean it's not possible. I'm sure there's a way to remove most of it...

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no paint, the design and "coating" is vitreous glaze, made shiny after melting during firing in a super hot kiln. As far as cleaning, its not going to be easy. I would not try to clean it unless it was free of major damage such as large open cracks or big chips. I would try to eat the crud off with a strong acid, perhaps muriatic acid, which is commercially available, masons use it. Fill the jug with sand or gravel. Put the thing in a plastic bucket a bit bigger in diameter and pour in the acid until it almost goes up to the spout of the jug, dont get acid in the jug. The gravel in the jug will keep it from floating out of the container. A few days of this should knock off all the crust and rusty coating. Now, after all this, the glaze will be free of encrusted crap, but the glaze will still be rust stained. Now do the same thing, but use strong peroxide solution. The peroxide should neutralize the rust staining, but it may take a long time (weeks). That looks like a nice jug worthy of all this effort. But if there is any physical damage to it, like cracks or chips, it might not be worth all the effort. Is the handle intact? The spout looks heavily damaged. Flower jugs like yours in mint condition sell for three or four hundred bucks plus.

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestion....the handle is intact, and I do not see any chips or cracks. The very top part of the spout is chipped off. It's a shame, but still a beauty, and I feel it's worth cleaning since it made it this far. I think I will have to take on this cleaning project in the next few weeks. I will post back here when I am finished.

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another one I found busted with no handle and missing a good portion of the spout.....but much cleaner. Can these be refurbished for selling? What is something like this worth in it's condition?

GEDC1982.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a very nice hug under all that crud. It would definitely be worth the trouble if you could successfully remove all that stain and build-up. Keep us posted and let us know how this works out (for whatever means you decide to use to clean it)

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds good, will do!

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest oxalic acid ('wood bleach' at your local paint store) to remove the crud from the jug . . . it's less dangerous to work with than muriatic acid.

SOUNDS MORE UP MY ALLEY...THANK YOU!

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with Oxalic Acid it can be neutralized with water easy, Muriatic Acid is much harsher, never use Muriatic Acid on metals, it will keep eating away at it until it turns to dust, people tried it on old beer cans, could not be neutralized on metal.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Muriatic acid is the way to go if you can handle it, it aint a walk in the park no matter what. Just go whole hog and dont whimp out.

Pacific

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A newbie question so bear with me, will the rust etc just be on the surface then and not have eaten through the paint/glaze?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use good acid resistant gloves and in a well ventilated area. One whiff of that stuff will larn you a lesson!

One of those stainless steel (not copper) scouring pads should help, too.

After rinsing it with water, I'd rinse the jug good with baking soda and water, then another final water rinse just to make sure no acid is left behind to eat at any tiny breaches in the glaze.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
That's a good question, personally for me before learn how to Clean One I just have to find one!

Decdad

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to hear where this ended up. Nice jug!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well let me through my two cents worth in. I see allot of that iron oxide on bottles and crocks we get out of the ocean. My method is a good soaking in white vinegar. I have a tub of it and when I get home from a bottle dive I just put them in the tub for about a week, wipe, rinse and most if not all that iron oxide is gone. It's cheep and not a hazard. Now for heavy rust that wont come off I use Phosphoric acid, otherwise know as rust remover, Metalprep or Naval Jelly. Some of my buddies us the muriatic acid, but this is dangerous to work with. Once the bulk of the rust is gone then just apply a coating of the acid with a brush, be sure to wear eye protection, and rinse off after about 20 min.
Good luck, that jug looks awesome.
ZDD

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Well let me through my two cents worth in. I see allot of that iron oxide on bottles and crocks we get out of the ocean. My method is a good soaking in white vinegar. I have a tub of it and when I get home from a bottle dive I just put them in the tub for about a week, wipe, rinse and most if not all that iron oxide is gone. It's cheep and not a hazard. Now for heavy rust that wont come off I use Phosphoric acid, otherwise know as rust remover, Metalprep or Naval Jelly. Some of my buddies us the muriatic acid, but this is dangerous to work with. Once the bulk of the rust is gone then just apply a coating of the acid with a brush, be sure to wear eye protection, and rinse off after about 20 min.
Good luck, that jug looks awesome.
ZDD

Phosphoric acid is dangerous stuff . . . PLUS, it is the only easily-obtained acid which will etch glass! Stick with the muriatic acid, or better yet, the oxalic acid (wood bleach).

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When cleaning rocks with acid, it was suggested to first soak them in water, so that they absorbed the water rather than the acid, would this be a good idea for the pottery too? And I would first use a plastic scrubbie rather than a metal one, you can always go stronger, so start with softer tools first. Just an idea.
Give us an "after" picture when you're done, so we can see how well this works...
Tigger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions