Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think Sanborn maps go back that far so :dontknow:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this area is rural, it wouldn't matter whether or not sanborn was established at that time. Sanborn only mapped the larger towns. My only advice is to invest in a 5ft probe and a pair of leather gloves and get after it.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to mention, Independence,MO is in fact an older city but you did say this was on a farm.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not really. Privies moved as they filled up. But always downwind of the house! (often within 20 paces opr so) 8-) Yakker

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Sanborn arrived on scene after the Great Chicago Fire of the 1870's...I believe I'm right on that.. As far as the probing goes, yep a 5 foot spring steel probe and a nice semicircle up to 50 feet away from the back door would get ya a start. Look for some obvious dips in the grass or whatever. They continually settle even over that amount of time. Even metal detect it and see if ya hit alot of iron and debris in a certain area. Ferrous items such as lids from fruit jars and things of that nature may be clustered around the privy area and trash dumps. Hope that helps. jgas

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and if there is vacant land or a woods lot in the back , I'd look for dumps there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread