Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone ever dig up Mercury glass? I know I have seen it mimicked and it always looks spotty like the Mercury chips off. I found this little bottle a few days ago and cleaned it somewhat but liked the way it looked with a little of the silvery finish still left on. Anyone know what type of little bottle this is in any event? Definitely not a screw type. I read that Mercury was often sold to treat syphills,yikes. If it was in fact Mercury am I gonna start glowing?

image.jpg

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Could be a utilitarian bottle. Looks 1890ish to me. I have uncovered some mercury in a couple bottles. The droplets spilled out onto the dirt and kinda rolled around. Crazy. In any case your bottle could have been just that too. A bottle full of Mercury. Or it could be a polish bottle or perfume. Hard knowing really. Jgas

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like the style of bottle that boot blacking or white shoe polish came in, the cork would have a wire with a swab at the end, to spread the product on the shoes. Often, remnants of the product or the swab or both are found with the bottle. One thing is for certain, your bot is not Mercury glass.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I should have known it wasn't Mercury since it didn't ball up. Still pretty though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread