What is the cut off year for privies?

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
You can still find some maintained ones on farms around here. Last time I visited one was in the 1980's.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We had one on the ranch up until the mid 70's i remember using. in high school on Halloween we would steal them from people and leave them on the front lawn of the school.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think you mean ..."when did cities and towns get running water and sewers". that question needs to be answered locally and should be pretty easy to find the info. Remember too, most rural places are on septic tanks and not sewers, so the answer to that would have to do with local building codes and the advent of county public health departments...so generally speaking post WW2.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was over in Mississippi a year ago and I ain't picking on anyone there or from there but, I pasted several houses that I saw a clear, well worn path going out to the outhouse. These were in the very rural areas. I'm sure they still exist in rural Georgia as well. Don't dig in these! Lol.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
We had one here at the farm I'm living at now. I put in an inside toilet in 1983. Therefore, the privvy lasted probably another year beyond that. Granny was slow to adopt...

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is no clear cut off date when it comes to out houses . thou in towns and cities you will see were thy were condemned in heath department records .and in some places they were slow to install sewage . but id say in towns and city's the late 1940s.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking about digging one, I wouldn't dig unless I was certain it was 100 years old

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my grandparents put a toilet in the house in the late 60s, my grandfather refused to use it. He said " A dog won't s**t in its house and I won't either. In 1983 we moved into a farm house that had not been lived in since 1963. No running water. The county laws said that you could not build a new outhouse but you could remodel an existing one. I found the old out house site, re dug the hole and used 3 old boards that were left on the outside and it passed inspection. We used it until 86.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My papaw used to tell us he remembered sitting in the privy, doing his business - while reading the newspaper article about how LBJ brought electricity to the county!

What was funny was they got the newspaper a week or so late, and only if someone had stopped by with one coming from town.

~Tejaas~

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone know what the cut off year is for Privies? Is it 1900? or shortly after?

I was gonna answer this, but i had to go visit the privy.

~Tejaas~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions