Help with Bottlemarks

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
All found on Charleston, SC peninsula. Period from 1700 to present so lots of history. Some interesting black glass bottles, deep olive bottles. And the light blue bottle that I’m not familiar with. They are very crudely made and have lots of construction imperfections. First time i have found bottles made like this whole.
The lighter blue and rainbow bottles all have thin lips and either open or smoothed pontils
“Any insight on bottles shapes purposes would be appreciated” as whats in the picture is only a third of the first day digging, claening will take some time but I will continue to posts as i clean
Very interesting maker marks as well can’t find any precedent
The two light glass marks are very easy to see but seam very abstract. The base of the black glass bottle has a smooth pontil in the middle with lettering all the way around it, then on the outer edge theres more writing. Its very hard to make out but look s very high dollar for the time

Also a couple very thinly made open pontils, cant believe they came out whole!

Im a Chas native so was very happy to find some late 1800 early 1900 soda, cola, beer bottles that were bottled here. All embossed
- The Germania Brewing Co., Chas SC - Info easy
- Coca-Cola Bottling Co, Chas sc - Bottler was not here long, could not find a matching bottle made in charleston at all??
- FW Jenner Bottling Co., Chas SC - Info Easy
- MF Freisnor Drug Store, Fly Driver and Mosquito Exterminator - Could not find any info

Thanks

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds but I don't see a pontil scarred bottle in the group...

OP
OP
J

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, very helpfull, still trying to upload pics

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some nice finds. That slug plate coca cola is a good one. Is this last bottle embossed? If so show us more pictures. You had a very good day of digging

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a dream to bottle dig in Charleston. Love those embossed ones and the torpedo shaped ones as well.

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"What a dream to bottle dig in Charleston"... you can say that again... I'm a Charleston native as well and have only been lucky enough 1 time to be in a spot with more than a few bottles at a time..... funny thing too, last night I dreampt of bottles, for some reason I was on the state house grounds doing landscaping and found a huge bottle that was broken on one side, but inside of it was a small, sky blue dispensary with the palmetto tree logo, except it was rectangular like a tonic with a long neck... I was bummed to wake up and realize it was only a dream :tongue3: (sorry for the tangent)....

JI, I'ma send you a PM.

Forgot to add this earlier... pretty good bottle site: http://www.sha.org/bottle/

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
thanks, very helpfull, still trying to upload pics

This appears to be a dry mustard powder bottle.
londonmustardB.JPG
The square bottle with the diamond-R is a British pickle jar, I believe.
The dark green bottle above appears to be a SAXLEHNERS BITTERQUELLE, a very common mineral water.
bitterquelle.jpg

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
K
"What a dream to bottle dig in Charleston"... you can say that again... I'm a Charleston native as well and have only been lucky enough 1 time to be in a spot with more than a few bottles at a time..... funny thing too, last night I dreampt of bottles, for some reason I was on the state house grounds doing landscaping and found a huge bottle that was broken on one side, but inside of it was a small, sky blue dispensary with the palmetto tree logo, except it was rectangular like a tonic with a long neck... I was bummed to wake up and realize it was only a dream :tongue3: (sorry for the tangent)....

JI, I'ma send you a PM.

Forgot to add this earlier... pretty good bottle site: Historic Bottle Website - Homepage
Sha.org is a great bottle site for sure. Chitlin your avatar skeers the crap outta me but I would bottle hunt with you any day,lol! What is the digging like down there,pretty sandy?

Last edited:

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Coily girl... that's Bob Gnarly, don't be askeerd of him, he's got a grin on his face, you should see his sister, they live under one of my jade tree's (which I will be bringing inside for tonights freeze)... I'll post up a pic of her later, gotta go make supper now... but yea mostly sandy unless it's downtown like it sounds like JI is digging for this particular thread... then it can be PITA rubble of broken bricks and debris... the one privy I got to dig, more of an outhouse, was soft like poop once we got in it,... probably was 100 year old poop come to think of it! They would drink in the outhouse, then throw the evidence down the hole so Momma didn't chop that a$$. :laughing7:

Edit: Check this thread..... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...aziest-thing-you-ve-found-bottle-hunting.html

Sorry JI for the temp. highjack!

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
L
lol Coily girl... that's Bob Gnarly, don't be askeerd of him, he's got a grin on his face, you should see his sister, they live under one of my jade tree's (which I will be bringing inside for tonights freeze)... I'll post up a pic of her later, gotta go make supper now... but yea mostly sandy unless it's downtown like it sounds like JI is digging for this particular thread... then it can be PITA rubble of broken bricks and debris... the one privy I got to dig, more of an outhouse, was soft like poop once we got in it,... probably was 100 year old poop come to think of it! They would drink in the outhouse, then throw the evidence down the hole so Momma didn't chop that a$$. :laughing7:

Edit: Check this thread..... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...aziest-thing-you-ve-found-bottle-hunting.html

Sorry JI for the temp. highjack!

Oh holy hell Chitlin,that bald haided doll makes your avatar look positively saintly! So Charleston soil,somewhere in between brickyard and poopy,well I could work with that. I love everything about Charleston,the food,the history,the history,the food,well you get my point.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa nice digs. I would like to see more pictures of that pontil mustard. And that pickle jar has a real crude lip on it.

OP
OP
J

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off thanks everyone for the knowledge,very helpfull.
In response to questions:
- Bass - Last bottle is super embossed, oddly couldnt find a match on line
- Bass - I have never seen a slug plate cola bottled in Chas and idea on value, has a really cool rainbow tint to it. Couldnt find a matching bottle on line, some similars but none with identical embossed writing
- Harry Pristis - The dark green logo on bottom looks similar, but is not a match as far as i can see, also the size and shapes are very different, and i couldnt find a matching size under that brand,attached better pic
Attached aremore pics of mentioned bottles, after that i pics ofnewely cleanedonesfrom same day.

New Ones

Something long, cylindrical, and hollow attached to it?

otobucket.com/user/tnave1/media/IMG_3804_zpsku25p2xm.jpg.html]
IMG_3804_zpsku25p2xm.jpg
[/URL]

This one is curious, 12" tall, 2.5" opening,crudelymade, pontiledmark and nothing else

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I can't read the embossing on the bottom of the green bottle . . . Is that the same one I identified as a SAXLEHENER'S ?

The diamond embossing is a British date key.

The last bottle is a nice find, a capers bottle, probably French.

capers_Languedoc.JPG condiment_colorless.JPG caperstrio.jpg capersmodern.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw where a coca cola identical to yours sold for $156 on eBay

OP
OP
J

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, sent PM hadnt been on in a few days

OP
OP
J

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I discovered it was a British date key, but none of the online dating catalogs I can find match how this one is arranged??
Green embossed is the same, tried ading pics at diff angles, embossing is super hard to make out but while simila o the link you provided there are some major diffeences in appreance
thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread