luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not having it in hand to examine closely I'm not able to compare it to my book on historical flasks. That said, by the appearance in the pictures, I'm thinking you made a very good purchase for $5.00. It has a pontil, great color and looks to be in great shape.
luvsdux

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
1970-80's repro, decorator value of $5-10 is about right

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely a Pier 1 piece

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Has that Wheaton look and color, but l agree with Bass and epackage on this. Probably an import.

That being said, I would have paid $5. ☺️

Mr R

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like it could be the Wheaton but the bottom portion of the flask isn't as large as it needs to be. I was leaning toward Wheaton when it was first posted but the more I look at it the more I'm convinced that it's not. Could be wrong but I'ma stickin to my guns.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a picture of various shades of Wheatons. Can anyone see the difference? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426284837.128213.jpg
Yes, no, maybe? Look closely

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And one more thought, I believe the Wheaton pieces are embossed on the bottom.

OP
OP
BagLady

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a picture of various shades of Wheatons. Can anyone see the difference? View attachment 1130774
Yes, no, maybe? Look closely
I'm not seeing the difference. I measured the base across the middle, it measures right at 5".
The color is a bit lighter in my picture, but then all photos are different, ie; light, flash, etc.
So, how do I find out for sure? And what age would it be if it were a "Wheaton"?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its got the tell tale purple of a repro. The Wheatons are machine made and have an incuse molded fake "pontil". The bot in question has no embossed lettering at the base like the wheatons, and looks like it has a real bona fide genuine sharp edged pontil, but it's hard to tell from the pic. BagLady, can you post a bigger clear close-up of the bottom of this bot?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, its clear that it is not a real pontil scar, its a newer "repro" piece, no more than forty years old. It looks like Wheaton to me but I really dont know for sure. I will try to post some of my wheatons to compare.

OP
OP
BagLady

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, its clear that it is not a real pontil scar, its a newer "repro" piece, no more than forty years old. It looks like Wheaton to me but I really dont know for sure. I will try to post some of my wheatons to compare.
Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BagLady. Your flask could be one of these three: 1. An original union dove flask. 2. A Wheaton repro 3. A later repro....the color is not right for it to be an original, and neither is the pontil scar. There would also be 150 years of wear on the bottom of the flask. The wheaton's were the first reproductions and they also have some value. Some of the union dove flasks made by Wheaton are embossed on the bottom. I don't believe yours to be a Wheaton either . The 3rd possibility is for the flask to be a later repro. The color and the the fact that it's not a real pontil scar places your flask in this category.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BagLady

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BagLady. Your flask could be one of these three: 1. An original union dove flask. 2. A Wheaton repro 3. A later repro....the color is not right for it to be an original, and neither is the pontil scar. There would also be 150 years of wear on the bottom of the flask. The wheaton's were the first reproductions and they also have some value. Some of the union dove flasks made by Wheaton are embossed on the bottom. I don't believe yours to be a Wheaton either . The 3rd possibility is for the flask to be a later repro. The color and the the fact that it's not a real pontil scar places your flask in this category.
Thank you for an explanation I can understand. I guess I'll stick a candle in it. :laughing9:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, if you like it that's all that matters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions