Very Rare Aqua Whiskey 6th and other 1860s glass

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I recently acquired permission to look for privies behind an early 1860s house. This is not a rare occurrence in itself, however finding early complete glass absolutely is. I have dug behind at least 10 early homes over the last couple of years, which typically result in a lot of turn of the century glass and occasionally a killer bottle in small shards under a pile of bricks. Anyone who digs bottles understands this phenomenon. Usually all of the slick meds and crown tops are in mint condition and the one early embossed bottle is smashed beneath a discarded tea pot. Anyway, after securing permission we began probing the backline of the lot. Typically an early 1860s dwelling has between 3 and 5 privies, however finding the earliest hole is always top priority. A dark ash layer at 4 feet indicated something worth exploring. As we opened up the hole, square nails and an occasional crock shard appeared, however no bottles. At 4 feet we hit a foot of thick mud above the hard pan. Reaching bare handed to the elbow in this mud revealed bottles stacked like cord wood. With no time, space or energy to bucket out all the mud, each vessel was extracted by feeling around blindly in the depths. With gloves its difficult to discern what your feeling, whether its complete or what’s around it which may get in the way of the recovery, so this was done very gingerly with bare hands, which resulted in countless small cuts. After pulling out 10 small 3 piece mold cylinder meds I felt something rectangular on the back wall. The most crude Hostetters I have ever seen appeared with a rare base embossing in a beautiful light amber color. Next I felt a cylinder protruding from a side wall. After several minutes of scraping the mud aside and gently wiggling it blindly, It came loose. I figured it would be a black glass whiskey and was confused when an aqua sixth broke the muddy surface complete with a perfume stopper in the top. I handed the bottle to my partner who was also confused as these early 1860s 3 piece whiskeys are typically dark olive. He yelled down that it was a Dyottville Glassworks, Philadelphia which are often found in Civil War Camps (always in Olive Green or Yellowish Green). We put the bottle aside to research later and finished the privy, which also gave up 2 nice Jamaica Gingers including a beautiful early western blown Dr. Barnes variant 2 early 1860s spice bottles, 2 12 sided medicines, a beautiful western soda, a Dr. Thompsons Eye Water and several more slick cylinder meds and a gutta percha syringe. The majority of the glass was early 1860s, however a couple of broken open pontiled 1850s meds came out as well. Later when researching the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] neither of us could come up with an aqua example in any books or on the internet. We consulted with multiple diggers and bottle experts with similar results. Apparently it is a very rare bottle with likely 1 other known at this point. Although considerable offers were made, it will remain in my collection. I have been digging relics and bottles seriously for 8 years, moving ridiculous amounts of dirt, and this stands out as my best bottle find so far and one of my most memorable digs. Thanks for looking and sharing in one of my greatest finds. Would love to know of other examples found, always nice to share finds with other bottle diggers.
-Evan

Attachments

• evan18.jpg
    evan18.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 111
  • evan2.jpg
    evan2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 105
  • evan1.jpg
    evan1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 101
  • evan5.jpg
    evan5.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 120
  • evan6.jpg
    evan6.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 125
  • evan4.jpg
    evan4.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 128
  • evan3.jpg
    evan3.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 108
  • evan8.jpg
    evan8.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 111

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
great story, well told! wonderful pictures

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen 6 or 7 in aqua over the last 6 years, it's a nice cylinder for sure, looks really great among the colored variants. Nice deep color on that Jake... congrats

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful pieces of history right there. :occasion14:

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the information, I could only locate 1 other in an auction 25 years ago. Pretty bottle for sure.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the information, I could only locate 1 other in an auction 25 years ago. Pretty bottle for sure.
Yeah they don't end up in a lot of the big auctions, they usually get dug and kept or exchange hands privately, it's in great shape...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Evan, thanks for the post and the great digging story. I know what you mean by moving tons of dirt, been there and done that. The Dyottville is a great find and congratulations for recovering it from the depths. That Jamaican is very nice too, great color. Would really like to see the rest of the gang of you've got them cleaned up. It never fails that the best bottles are always broken and the slicks survive. I am in the middle of writing a study on the gravitational effects of bricks being dropped from a distance of 6' or more and finding targets that include valuable/historical glass. I am on the verge of proving a theory on how these bricks can be dropped in a vertical straight line and then break the laws of gravity while moving horizontally to avoid contact with cheap/un-embossed glass that no one really gives a crap about. Seriously, thanks for the post and come back and see us more often.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I will get some more pics of the rest of the finds cleaned up in the next few days. Found some Civil War stuff at a different site that I would be glad to share as well. Thanks for all the comments, nice to share with people who appreciate glass and how difficult it is to find good examples.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds this is the kind of dig I dream about. That embossed med is one crude dude. But I would love to see the others you dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread