OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5-15 typically

So you have seen this bottle sell by itself or is it just a guess based on similar bottles?

I could not see me getting less than $20 for this locally, I know a guy that would trade me a minty painted cream bottle for it. I guess that might be what I do. Really surprised that this bottle would not be worth as much as a green 7oz ribbed orange crush. I just seen a nice shape 7oz green orange crush sell for $52!

Happy hunting : >

Last edited:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this bottle was made in the late 1920's and 1930's . it was not made by the orange crush co, but another co . I have several of these ginger beers . there not hard to find in the north east . one or two will pop out of a 1930's dump up there.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen it sell several times over the years, certainly not a rare bottle, but unusual because people don't expect them to be from Orange Crush. I don't know what a 'painted cream bottle' is, but if you mean a pyroglazed cream top milk, make the trade with a smile and be happy about it... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info I appreciate it, I bet I'll find more of them in the future. That is how I usually judge price on bottles is how many I dig and since I am new at digging them I have not much to go on if I can not find many sold on the net or with google book search.

I was not aware of the term pyroglaze, thank you for the correction. I did not mean to type cream bottle, what he has are some pyroglaze cottage cheese bottles.

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded the ginger beer bottle for these two cottage cheese jars.

Not sure if these are real or not, they are old cottage cheese jars I know that because of the mTc on the bottom and their weight plus the way they were manufactured, but weather or not the pyroglazing is I don't know. I found them in the city you would expect to find them, Ashtabula. They are not marked Ashtabula though.

Seen a Doxsie cottage cheese that sold in 2008 for $25
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cottage-cheese-jar-vintage-doxsie-dairy-glass-bottle

and a Doxsie war milk that sold in 2006 for $120. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-2-color-war-slogan-milk-bottle-quart-by-doxsie

I dug a Doxsie clear quart embossed milk bottle locally.

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
They are certainly the real deal, the cost to make repros wouldn't be worth the effort really, people who make repros make them of nationally known bottles or super rare locals, nice trade IMHO....

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you think I made a good trade. On further inspection of my Doxsie bottle I dug I noticed it is also from Thatcher Glass Manufacturing Company "mTc". It also shows that doxsie and gleason merged or were the same ownership but two names.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with epackage, nice trade

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread