Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
My wife picked this up for me at a rummage sale. It is a very thick flat bottom bottle that is 8 1/2 inches tall. As you can see from the pictures it is pinched near the neck with something like a stone or metal ball trapped. It is free to roll around but stays in the neck. It's cool to look at but I have no idea as to the purpose or origin. I'm not a bottle guy but I really like the looks of this piece. Thanks in advance for any info.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 187

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the marble acts as a seal -- to prevent evaporation / loss of liquid --that way to get the fuild out one must tip the bottle and slowly pour it out sideways -- as soon as it placed upright again ----clink the marble goes back into place sealing it off again..

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
The Japanese still use this type of bottle to this day. I just drank out of one the other day. No idea why, as it seems like a expensive way to make a bottle, that will be thrown away after one use. Mostly used in carbonated soda bottles. The thick base is interesting though. Not sure of the age.
They are called Codd bottles. They first came out in the late 1800's so some can be that old. Not sure of the age of this one, but Original Codd bottles can bring a decent price, as children would break the tops off to get the marble out, so the older ones are rare to find intact. The newer Japanese ones are basically worthless, other than glass value. The marble acts as a lid of sorts, as pressure holds it against the top, then you push down and release the pressure and now you can drink from it.

You can find a ton of pics if you Google it.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting bottle there, anyone know what it was used to hold in past?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carbonated beverages. They were filled upside down, and upon completion, the marble dropped into place. When the bottle was uprighted, pressure from the carbonation held the marble in place.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Codd stopper bottle is a whole field of collecting in Britain, where the stopper originated. Early versions, odd variants, figural-embossed, and colored glass seem to be the ones in demand. They are still being made in India and elsewhere.

sodaCoddstopper.jpg codd_natraj.JPG
You might suppose, as I did, that "NATRAJ" is a brand name; but, I expect that might be near-sacrilegious. Here's what "NATRAJ" means:

"Natraj" (alternately spelled "Nataraj") is the representation of Shiva, the most important Hindu god.

"Nataraj, the dancing form of Lord Shiva, is a symbolic synthesis of the most important aspects of Hinduism, and the summary of the central tenets of this Vedic religion. The term 'Nataraj' means 'King of Dancers' (Sanskrit nata = dance; raja = king). In the words of Ananda K. Coomaraswamy, Nataraj is the "clearest image of the activity of God which any art or religion can boast of…A more fluid and energetic representation of a moving figure than the dancing figure of Shiva can scarcely be found anywhere," ...

"This cosmic dance of Shiva is called 'Anandatandava,' meaning the Dance of Bliss, and symbolizes the cosmic cycles of creation and destruction, as well as the daily rhythm of birth and death. The dance is a pictorial allegory of the five principle manifestations of eternal energy — creation, destruction, preservation, salvation, and illusion. According to Coomerswamy, the dance of Shiva also represents his five activities:
'Shrishti' (creation, evolution);
'Sthiti' (preservation, support);
'Samhara' (destruction, evolution);
'Tirobhava' (illusion); and
'Anugraha' (release, emancipation, grace)."

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good research Harry

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little update on Indian cod's . they are no longer produced there . some time in the 1970s or so they moved to crown tops . They can still be found in county markets , mostly street venders.and small soda shop. but the cost of filling them are to high. japan still use them , though part of the lip is made of plastic. and have no embossing.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Codd's are a pretty tough find (if digging ) since the kids at the time used to bust the bottles to get the marbles..

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little update on Indian cod's . they are no longer produced there . some time in the 1970s or so they moved to crown tops . They can still be found in county markets , mostly street venders.and small soda shop. but the cost of filling them are to high. japan still use them , though part of the lip is made of plastic. and have no embossing.
Really? Where does this information come from?
10 Oz Blue 07 Codd Bottle and 10 Oz Green 08 Codd Bottle Manufacturer by Khandelwal Glass Works,New Delhi

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call or send an email to find out. .lol
Why? The reason I mentioned it is because I found one of their codd bottles last year at a sale.

In January 2012, the website of the Khandelwal Glass Works at Hathras, Uttar Pradesh,
India, stated the following about itself and its Codd bottle production:
About Us
We, Khandelwal Glass Works, are one of the oldest companies in the glass
industry in India. Established in 1932 at Sasni, we started the manufacturing of
Codd Bottles since 1981 and started capturing the market thenceforth. We are the
only manufacturer of Codd Bottles in India, which are marketed under the brand
name of VICTORY and DECO.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why? The reason I mentioned it is because I found one of their codd bottles last year at a sale.

In January 2012, the website of the Khandelwal Glass Works at Hathras, Uttar Pradesh,
India, stated the following about itself and its Codd bottle production:
About Us
We, Khandelwal Glass Works, are one of the oldest companies in the glass
industry in India. Established in 1932 at Sasni, we started the manufacturing of
Codd Bottles since 1981 and started capturing the market thenceforth. We are the
only manufacturer of Codd Bottles in India, which are marketed under the brand
name of VICTORY and DECO.

Its a joke...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread